GT or Giant

dj69mgr
dj69mgr Posts: 7
edited August 2007 in MTB buying advice
Hi

I need some advise, I am changing my bike soon

Got about £400 - £600 to spend
Thinking of GT Avalanche ,2.0 disc,1.0 disc or Giant Terrago disc, XTC 4.5, XTC 3.5
What do you think ???
I have a 2005 GT Avalanche 2.0 disc, its been quite a good bike, except for the corrosion on all the allen key fixings
I will use the bike every day for communting to & from work, & on the weekend going on trails etc

Cheers :D

Comments

• royboy11
    royboy11 Posts: 71
    You can put a thin layer of clear nail polish inside the hex bolt heads to keep them from rusting. You can try it on the new one.
    Norco Sasquatch '07 - Parts?.. break'em and replace'em
  • ma mates just got the GT Avalanche 2.0 (2007) and is well impresssed with it. before you choose though, check out halfords range of GT's. theyre called Aggressors, and use last years Avalanche frames, with different components and specs. they have a sale on them at the mo too.
  • Giant all the way.
    Giant XTC 2.5 '08
    Felt Virtue 3 '10
    Giant Defy 2 '11
    Giant Terrago Disc '07 - Convereted for CX
    Fit Team Park Bmx '08
  • Wait untill September when the 2008 Giant Models and get a Giant XTC 2.5 on special offer from your nearest Giant Dealer.
    Giant XTC 2.5 '08
    Felt Virtue 3 '10
    Giant Defy 2 '11
    Giant Terrago Disc '07 - Convereted for CX
    Fit Team Park Bmx '08
  • The Spiderman
    The Spiderman Posts: 5,625
    There are already some good deals to be had on Giant XTCs.Check out www.paulscycles.co.uk or www.tredz.co.uk
    2006 Giant XTC
    2010 Giant Defy Advanced
    2016 Boardman Pro 29er
    2016 Pinnacle Lithium 4
    2017 Canondale Supersix Evo
  • Marantz
    Marantz Posts: 32
    I've a Giant XTC and its a great hard tail. If you can get one at discount it would be an absolute steal :D
  • bwoody
    bwoody Posts: 14
    I got an 06 giant xtc se from pauls cycles for £400 (retail at the time was £500).
    Been very happy with it so far.
  • The BIG GT
    The BIG GT Posts: 655
    dj69mgr wrote:
    Hi
    I need some advise, I am changing my bike soon

I have a 2005 GT Avalanche 2.0 disc, its been quite a good bike, except for the corrosion on all the allen key fixings

Buy some new bolts instead and save your money? If it's 2 years old and you like it enough to consider another, why buy a new bike for such an insignificant reason?!!

That's like buying a new car because the ash-tray is full.........

:roll:

Spend half of the cash on upgrading the most important components to get a ride that will be noticeably better than a brand new GT Av!!!

Oh, and some new bolts! :wink:
    Now living happily at http://www.uk-mtb.com !!
  • passout
    passout Posts: 4,425
    They're both good. I'm happy with my Giant. Go for the biggest discount.
    'Happiness serves hardly any other purpose than to make unhappiness possible' Marcel Proust.
  • dj69mgr
    Thanks for all your advise guys :D
  • Old Tuggo
    Old Tuggo Posts: 482
    I have a Giant Terrago Disc (dont know about XT models) and it is very heavy. The SR forks only lasted about 18 months before they had to be replaced (they filled with water),
    otherwise it has stood up to dirty off roading very well. I am now looking for a lighter bike.
  • dj69mgr
    Hi

Just got a 2007 GT Avlanche expert
    Well impressed, got a real bargin as well
    Cheers all :D
  • The Spiderman
    The Spiderman Posts: 5,625
    Nice bike. :D
    2006 Giant XTC
    2010 Giant Defy Advanced
    2016 Boardman Pro 29er
    2016 Pinnacle Lithium 4
    2017 Canondale Supersix Evo
  • anto164
    anto164 Posts: 3,500
    I would say Giant over GT any day.

This is because Giant are the worlds biggest bike manufacturer, and they are able to buy top notch components at rock bottom prices. These savings are passed onto the end buyer. This then means that for the same price of say, a mid range GT, you would get a Giant frame, of equal quality, but with better quality components on it.

Hence, Giant all the way.
  • Gt avalanche 1.0 2007

lx rear mech
    front mech deore mega 9
    oversize stem and bars cold forged
    wtb speed v seat
    trutative 5d power spline crank
    Alex wheels a c e 17
    avid 5 digit v brakes
    avid levers
    deore mega 9 shifters
    kenda nevegal 2.1 tyres
    hydro formed butted frame
    sr x 100 preload, speed lock out , hydraulic damping , magnesium lowers 32 mm stanchions

£300

Thats my ride

GT
    http://www.pinkbike.com/photo/1347023/

KEEPING IT REAL RIDING STEEL
  • dav1
    dav1 Posts: 1,298
    Old Tuggo wrote:
    I have a Giant Terrago Disc (dont know about XT models) and it is very heavy. The SR forks only lasted about 18 months before they had to be replaced (they filled with water),
    otherwise it has stood up to dirty off roading very well. I am now looking for a lighter bike.

Sorry for the offtopic but my Yukon forks just filled with water. Ive pumped most of it out and relubed them but were yours useable after this?

Im due for a service soon and it still under warranty so I may try to get them replaced with some rock shox or something.

anyway back ontopic...
    I was riding with somone who had a new XTC (LX I think) and they loved it, they would reccomend it to anyone.
    Giant TCR advanced 2 (Summer/race)
    Merlin single malt fixie (Commuter/winter/training)
    Trek superfly 7 (Summer XC)
    Giant Yukon singlespeed conversion (winter MTB/Ice/snow)

Carrera virtuoso - RIP
  • Chilled Rider - where did you get the GT Avalanche 1.0 for £300?
    My Bikes
    Trek 6500
    Spesh Sirrus Elite
  • I got it from 'chain reaction cycle's after they had taken money for a bike they never had in stock. I originally orderd a viper, 3.0 for £279. This was a price that had 42% off the original price of £479, they then took a further 10% off.

They couldn't provide the bike i had paid for, they took it as their mistake (as it was) i received the Gt avalanche 1.0 as a replacement at a cost of £300. It usually retails at around £399.

In the end i was happy and i have a bike to get muddy on , once again 8)
    http://www.pinkbike.com/photo/1347023/

KEEPING IT REAL RIDING STEEL
  • not baaaad!
    My Bikes
    Trek 6500
    Spesh Sirrus Elite