Ribble vs. Condor any difference except 50% price premium?

collie27
collie27 Posts: 25
edited September 2011 in Workshop
Been looking at the Ribble Dedacciai Carbon/Ultegra 10 Double as a purchase when work sorts out Cycle to Work scheme and this lunchtime went to Condor to look at their stuff to compare.

Both ranges seem to be all Dedacciai manufactured frames avilable in 5 sizes only and looking at this Ribble vs the Condor Baracchi I'm struggling to see a difference vs the £1100 and £1800 price tags for the same groupset.

Seem to be same damn bike to my untrained eye, any contrary opinions?

IMGP2132.jpg
RIBBXRIB1000.jpg
woot

Comments

• Ste_S
    Ste_S Posts: 1,173
    It's the Dedacciai Nero Corsa frameset isn't it ?

EMil06-Deda2.jpg

There's quite a few companies who sticker up the same frameset, Dolan for one.

I'd imagine the components are somewhat different, even Condor can't get away with sticking £700 on the top :wink:
  • collie27
    Many thanks for confirming my suspicion

Would love an education where the £700 goes on wheels, saddles and bars :shock:

I double checked and those are the respective prices for Ultegra equpped bikes.

So is the trick for London twats like me to get fitted instore at Condor and order a custom bike from Ribble?
    woot
  • collie27
    edited July 2007
    Even better: :? Kona does same frame with same Aksium wheels as the Ribble and only 105 groupset for £1800 too.

http://www.konabikes.co.uk/2k7bikes/zing_deluxe_2k7.php

My eyes have been opened.
    woot
  • fluff.
    fluff. Posts: 771
    The Kona frame looks less tacky as well, imo anyway :) Still, I'd want better wheels on my bike if I'm spending nearly 2 grand.
  • Ste_S
    On a side note, Dedacciai make the tubes, but who assembles the frame itself ? I wonder if it's possible to buy from them direct ?

Condor charge £900 for the Nero Corsa with their stickers on it, I wonder how much cheaper it is sticker less ?
  • acorn_user
    acorn_user Posts: 1,137
    I think Deda supply those as complete framesets, although I do not know where they are made. I think they are supposed to use Toray CF. Toray is a Japanese firm that also supplies Pinarello.
  • El Tel
    El Tel Posts: 63
    Buy the Ribble. It's really good with Chorus and Campag Neutron Ultras. 7.5 kg all up inc pedals and cages.
    El Tel
    Ribble Nero Corsa
  • FrankM
    FrankM Posts: 129
    "collie27: So is the trick for London twats like me to get fitted instore at Condor and order a custom bike from Ribble?"

I was intending to do this.
  • collie27
    Condor charge £900 for the Nero Corsa with their stickers on it, I wonder how much cheaper it is sticker less ?

£695 with a Ribble sticker on it.
    woot
  • Ste_S
    collie27 wrote:

:lol:

Does Bern post on here ? Why the extra £205 for Condor stickers over Ribble stickers ? Or is it not that simple ?
  • Eat My Dust
    Eat My Dust Posts: 3,965
    Ste_S wrote:
    collie27 wrote:

Does Bern post on here ? Why the extra £205 for Condor stickers over Ribble stickers ? Or is it not that simple ?

I wouldn't be surprised if it were that simple!!!!
  • gkerr4
    gkerr4 Posts: 3,408
    Ste_S wrote:
    collie27 wrote:

It looks like it IS that simple

and actually - it is £325 more as the ribble frame is just £575
  • Eat My Dust
    They must have BIG windows at Condor!!!!
  • wildmoustache
    wildmoustache Posts: 4,010
    i guess Condor will charge what they can get away with ... they probably have higher overheads than Ribble being in London, so you'd expect some price differential, but the brand is also more desirable, and some consumers will clearly pay the premium for the brand.

I'd go for the Ribble no question and maybe put a (Condor) beside the Ribble decal.

Well done to the OP for exposing this !
  • graham_g
    graham_g Posts: 652
    That's quite a difference - but there's a shop to maintain in Central London, there's a very comprehensive fitting service and then there's hundreds of old C+ forum threads bemoaning the shite service from Ribble. I agree the gap should be a bit closer than it is but if we all just become penny pinching arseholes then the number of shops that offer good service for a slight price premium will drop even further. I'd rather spend an Extra 10-15% at somewhere like condor for a serious purchase, simply for the value of customer service and fitting services and not having to f**k around with couriers.

Just my tuppence worth.
  • wildmoustache
    Graham G wrote:
    and not having to f**k around with couriers.

LMAO that you say this is a virtue of Condor :D I know what you really mean... :wink:
  • graham_g
    graham_g Posts: 652
    Didn't think of that when I was typing it - just going by my recent experience with nationwide motorised parcel Delivery companies other than Royal mail/Parcelforce :D
  • Smeggers
    Smeggers Posts: 1,019
    In defence of Ribble, I bought mine from the actual shop and found the "value of customer service and fitting services" to be excellent.

Its just the mail order side which used to have a bad reputation. Although I beleive its improved these days.

When comparing with Condor at least compare apples with apples.
    <font size="1">Hickory Dickory Dock,
    A baby elephant ran up the clock,
    The clock is being repaired</font id="size1">
  • wildmoustache
    Smeggers wrote:
    In defence of Ribble, I bought mine from the actual shop and found the "value of customer service and fitting services" to be excellent.

Its just the mail order side which used to have a bad reputation. Although I beleive its improved these days.

I'd defend Ribble too. their mail order stuff is good value. I got shamal ultras from them for £470 which ain't bad.
  • top_bhoy
    top_bhoy Posts: 1,424
    Smeggers wrote:

I've had several orders to Ribble in the last several months and they have all arrived in Oz within 7 days from order (If you negate the effect of the Royal Mail strikes) - first rate service I'd say.
  • passout
    passout Posts: 4,425
    Very interesting so far. I'm planning to go carbon soon. Visited the Ribble shop in Preston and was impressed by the bike (great value.) and service. I narrowed it down to either this Ribble or either the £999 of £1300 version of the Focus Cayo. I'd obviously have to buy the Cayo online from Wiggle or I could the Ribble direct from the shop. The only thing stopping me going for the Ribble is the fact that I don't know much about them - I've seen very few reviews of their bikes. In contrast Focus seems to be recommended right left and centre in the cycling press. What do you think guys, Focus or Ribble? :shock:
    'Happiness serves hardly any other purpose than to make unhappiness possible' Marcel Proust.
  • wildmoustache
    can you please list the full spec of the focus and ribble so that we can make a decision ... has anyone ridden both??
  • OnTow
    OnTow Posts: 130
    Gents, are you sure you're comparing apples with apples?
    Same wheels, tyres, headset, b.b, bars, stem, saddle, seatpost, chain (AKA finishing kit)?
    If you can drop in to Ribble and get fitted properly, then maybe it's worth it.
    Personally, forking out 100 notes and a day on the train for a round trip to Ribble, then back again for the service/spares/ongoing advice and maintenance is not worth it for me, as a Londoner.

The advice and help I've received in store at Condor (riding/fitness/nutrition/sizing etc) are great, and being just round the corner from the office, plus being able to pick a pair of decent quality components/clothes off the shelf, make it a worthwhile deal.
    The sales guys really know their stuff - all being riders who happen to work in a shop... as opposed to some chains where they're shop assistants who happen to ride-occasionally.

Oh, don't forget to try a Planet-X though.

At least if you go to Condor, then you'll get a test ride - call in advance to arrange though,as they're victims of their own success (busy), plus they may not have your size for demo.
  • Eat My Dust
    I just bought a Focus Cayo. I was going to buy a Pinerello, but Mrs EMD wasn't having any of that!!!! I must say that I think I made the right decision, the Focus is half the price of the Pinerello, but I bet that there isn't much difference in performance. The Focus is a flying machine, I can't believe how much better it is than my Ambrosio (even though that was more expensive!)

BTW, the Focus is much better looking in the flesh (carbon) than it is on Wiggle's website!!
  • Eat My Dust
    I forgot to add that I order my bike on Thursday, was delivered yesterday, took it out of the box, adjusted the handle bars, put the pedals on, and away I went. Great service!!
  • wildmoustache
    I don't know, I think some people like to feel part of the in-crowd if they speak to shop assistants, when in reality that assistant can often be talking balls and/or knows far less than you can establish on the internet in half an hour. if you want to pay for that, then fair play

But having access to a good mechanic is valuable for lots of people, and I feel you do get treated better than you would otherwise if you also buy some products from the shop. no way i'd buy a bike at a huge premium though.
  • passout
    http://www.wiggle.co.uk/ProductDetail.a ... 5360026005
    http://www.wiggle.co.uk/ProductDetail.a ... 5360026046
    Both bikes have the same frame.

To answer your question here are the links for the two focus bikes that I'm considering.
    I do agree that a decent shop fitting is an advantage, but the focus sounds great and is good value (like the Ribble). My main concern is how the Ribble rides and is the frame as good as the Focus Cayo? Basically I need more info. on the Ribble carbon.
    'Happiness serves hardly any other purpose than to make unhappiness possible' Marcel Proust.
  • wildmoustache
    a number of guys in my club have the ribble and like it very much. also, at least one has the dolan and likes it. indeed, i think one may even have the condor. not sure if he knows about all this.

i see loads of those carbon ribbles going around and i've never heard a bad word about them. must be someone on this forum that has one. they look nice as well
  • passout
    Thanks wildmoustache & Mr EMD - that's useful.
    Anybody else got any info. on carbon ribbles or indeed 'foci'.
  • Ste_S
    gkerr4 wrote:
    Ste_S wrote:
    collie27 wrote:

It looks like it IS that simple

and actually - it is £325 more as the ribble frame is just £575

Ribble is £575 frame only
    Condor is £899 frame+forks+headset