Is there......

prosper
prosper Posts: 11
edited August 2007 in Commuting chat
anyone here from SE London?

:)
Stephanie

Comments

• I'm from there, but don't live there.....
  • BentMikey
    BentMikey Posts: 4,895
    Yeah, I'm in Bromley, though I'm not from here. :P
  • WyS
    WyS Posts: 254
    i think of kent when someone says bromley, not london.
  • BentMikey
    True, but it is called London Borough of Bromley. Greater London, anyway.
  • Lbaguley
    Lbaguley Posts: 161
    Yep - Blackheath for me!
  • benjus
    benjus Posts: 27
    I live in Lee (SE12, a couple of miles from Blackheath) although I've only been in London since the start of the year. Quite a nice and easy commute to Canary Wharf.
  • Thantos
    Thantos Posts: 533
    benjus wrote:
    I live in Lee (SE12, a couple of miles from Blackheath) although I've only been in London since the start of the year. Quite a nice and easy commute to Canary Wharf.

Do you work for SIr Alan Sugar?
  • benjus
    benjus Posts: 27

NO!!

He doesn't have an office in Canary Wharf anyway:
    Despite the gratuitous shots of Canary Wharf - visual shorthand for the world of business - Sir Alan has no office in London's Docklands, or, for that matter, the City. Amstrad's head office is in Brentwood, Essex. He has a base in the inauspicious environs of the Mile End Rd, an office in swanky St James and Viglen - where Wednesday's interviews were conducted - is in Hertfordshire.
    (from http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/magazine/6729621.stm)
  • squired
    squired Posts: 1,153
    One here from (South) Croydon.
  • Yep, from South East London...

But moved to the posh bit of South West London....(oh no not a south-east vs sout-west London thread after the North vs South one!)
    17 years commuting up and down the King\'s Road and i still don\'t get faster...
  • Masonavickof
    Masonavickof Posts: 278
    From SE London - Sidcup (sort of kent)...

Any of you getting hacked of with the wind this week, seems to be always in my face....... :cry:
    It\'s not what we own, but what we value that makes us rich.
  • overmars
    overmars Posts: 430
    West Norwood.
    Nice little hills. Perfect for powering up... when I have the strength!
  • iainment
    iainment Posts: 992
    From Plumstead, daily jumping red lights to West Hampstead and back.

Funny definitions of London some people have - Croydon, Bromley, Sidcup.

:twisted:
    Old hippies don't die, they just lie low until the laughter stops and their time comes round again.
    Joseph Gallivan
  • BentMikey
    What's the title of this page then? http://www.bromley.gov.uk/

As far as I'm concerned, everything inside the M25 is greater London. :P
  • WyS
    WyS Posts: 254
    Anything out of zone 2 dont count.*

Bromely made me chuckle though cos it reminded me of this bird i met on the beach in brighton when i was at uni. Saying init and isit in the wrong places, 'true say' when she agreed with someone. I asked where she was from, she said 'london innit.' i said ahh i grew up in london, where abouts you from? 'saaf innit'. Yes, but where abouts? 'Bromley'. Thats in kent.. 'yeah but its close enf innit!'

her mate was hot though, but also spoke like that and was from worthing.

haha

*may not be completely true
  • prosper
    WyS wrote:
    i think of kent when someone says bromley, not london.

I suppose it depends where abouts in Bromley you are ...... as you can one bus right into the shopping centre from Lewisham.
    Stephanie
  • prosper
    WyS wrote:
    Anything out of zone 2 dont count.*

Bromely made me chuckle though cos it reminded me of this bird i met on the beach in brighton when i was at uni. Saying init and isit in the wrong places, 'true say' when she agreed with someone. I asked where she was from, she said 'london innit.' i said ahh i grew up in london, where abouts you from? 'saaf innit'. Yes, but where abouts? 'Bromley'. Thats in kent.. 'yeah but its close enf innit!'

her mate was hot though, but also spoke like that and was from worthing.

haha

*may not be completely true

I would not of been able to to hold a stright face if I was there I would have ended up bursting out laughing in her face. LOL
    Stephanie
  • prosper
    prosper wrote:
    anyone here from SE London?

:)

Might as well quote myself......

The reason as to why I wanted to know if anyone was from South London, is because I need a cycle buddie....... :roll:

I wanted to cycle some long distances for exercise and fun but wanted company to do it with. I am no expert bike rider!

At the moment I am an occasional home worker which just means that I go into work when I feel like it and the rest of the time is spent working from home.

I go into the office once or twice a week and the days that I don't I like to ride up to Greenwich Park try and ride up the hill with NO Success! sit down and read my book......boaring I know.
    Stephanie
  • Chirg
    Chirg Posts: 141
    What distance do you do and do you have a target? I have been riding to Sevenoaks and back at the weekend for the last month, mostly pasing nearby Bromley. It is 9 mles to Bromley and 12 miles to Sevenoaks making a round trip of 42 miles, which is a struggle for me, but would 24 miles not be enough for you? Sevenoaks because it is a nice ride and I have a friend who works in a shop there, so good place to have a break half way. I have only been cycling for five months and my aim is to start slowly increasing my mileage.
  • prosper
    Funny enough I don't have a distance target set, I just ride. I haven't been commuting for long either its only been a few months myself.

But I am always up for a challenge! lol
    Stephanie
  • prosper
    benjus wrote:

NO!!

He doesn't have an office in Canary Wharf anyway:
    Despite the gratuitous shots of Canary Wharf - visual shorthand for the world of business - Sir Alan has no office in London's Docklands, or, for that matter, the City. Amstrad's head office is in Brentwood, Essex. He has a base in the inauspicious environs of the Mile End Rd, an office in swanky St James and Viglen - where Wednesday's interviews were conducted - is in Hertfordshire.
    (from http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/magazine/6729621.stm)

You have probably seen me around as I go to Lee on a regular basis ..... but then again Lee is a big area.
    Stephanie
  • Stephanie,
    If you're looking for people to ride with in SE London, why not come along to Greenwich Cyclists or Lewisham Cyclists rides?
    http://www.greenwichcyclists.org.uk/events/events.html

There is a Greenwich Cyclists meeting tonight - not far from Greenwich Park. If you head out along Creek Road the meeting place is opposite the post office depot.

There are rides most weekends starting at the Cutty Sark. This is not a road racing club, so any type of bike and any level of fitness is welcome.
    I would recommend the Locks Docks and One Smoking Ferry ride on Sunday. 10 am at the Cutty Sark, and if you don't want to spend all day cycling it is easy to drop out early.
  • ps. If you are nearer Bromley, then the Bromley LCC group has a new coordinator and he should be organising more rides.

But please do come to the Greenwich meeting tonight if you can. We go to the Dog and Bell pub after the meeting if that helps you decide. I should be there (which will probably put you off attending...)
  • Lbaguley
    Sounds like a nice ride on Sunday.

Can one just turn up at Cutty Sark and join in - I know there's nothing to stop me tagging onto the end, but am thinking in terms of politeness...?

Also, have you been on these rides before, if so, what's the make up of the group?

Thanks

L
  • Yes, just turn up at the Cutty Sark and join in.
    That goes for anyone - you will all be made welcome.

Try to get to the Cutty Sark for 10am, though a couple of minutes late will be OK.
    Meet right outside the entrance to the foot tunnel.

The ride pace is reasonably slow - this is NOT an all-out roadies training ride.
    All sorts of bikes are taken on the ride, from road bikes, mountain bikes, Bromptons and the occasional recumbent. There are plenty of stops to look at interesting bits of history.
    Route goes along the Thames Path to the Woolwich Ferry, then maybe around the Royal Docks past Excel and loop round to Barrier Park. Then to the Isle of Dogs via Trinity Bouy Wharf. You can drop out there to return to the start via the foot tunnel, or continue with the ride along the Thames to Tower Bridge. Route varies.
    Ride is mostly off-road

If you're thinking of "joining" Greenwich or Southwark Cyclists they are both LCC local groups, but there is absolutely no requirement to be an LCC member to join - in fact the concept of "joining" involves nothing more than coming along to a ride or one of the meetings!

There are LCC type rides every weekend. You can find out about them on the LCC webpages, and there is also an "lcc-rider" Yahoo email group.
  • Lbaguley wrote:
    Sounds like a nice ride on Sunday.

Also, have you been on these rides before, if so, what's the make up of the group?

L

I've done my share of Locks/Docks rides, so can say that the makeup of the group is friendly people! Definitely not a road-based ride with head-down arse-up. The ride follows traffic free routes for the most part, and people just natter away to each other or enjoy the ride. Coffee stop in the morning at Firepower. Sadly the wonderful Thameside City Farm is closed, so no cheap egg and chips for a lunchtime stop, though somewhere else will be found. The day might round off with a pint at a riverside pub, if that gives you a flavour of the event!
  • Lbaguley
    Sounds like just about the perfect way to spend a Sunday.

Hope the weather holds out & may see you there!

Lewis
  • prosper
    Stephanie,
    If you're looking for people to ride with in SE London, why not come along to Greenwich Cyclists or Lewisham Cyclists rides?
    http://www.greenwichcyclists.org.uk/events/events.html

There is a Greenwich Cyclists meeting tonight - not far from Greenwich Park. If you head out along Creek Road the meeting place is opposite the post office depot.

There are rides most weekends starting at the Cutty Sark. This is not a road racing club, so any type of bike and any level of fitness is welcome.
    I would recommend the Locks Docks and One Smoking Ferry ride on Sunday. 10 am at the Cutty Sark, and if you don't want to spend all day cycling it is easy to drop out early.

Thank you for your useful info.....its about a two minute ride from where I live .... I will have to input the dates into my calendar as I have now missed the one that ran the other day :(
    Stephanie