Mail order Wheel Builders + Dura Ace Cassette query

georgee
georgee Posts: 537
edited August 2007 in Workshop
I am going to buy a set of Open Pro's on Dura Ace hubs, a lot of people arn't fans of Condor, Sigma seems pricey I have seen Ribble do them for off the shelf prices any comments or recomendations. as a foot note i'm also looking for black spokes and rims.

G

Comments

• Bronzie
    Bronzie Posts: 4,927
    Parkers also do wheel building - haven't used them for this myself though.
  • Monowai
    Monowai Posts: 329
    I was looking at Parkers wheels recently - but havent heard anything good or bad about them to be honest. Ribble used to have a dreadful reputation, but it was probably 10 years ago when i last bought a pair of wheels from them and they were shocking - spokes loosened after the first ride.
    Cake makes me happy
  • Greenbank
    Greenbank Posts: 731
    www.bikeplus.co.uk

You'll need to call them to place the order as they don't list that combo on the website. Thoroughly recommended though.
    --
    If I had a baby elephant signature, I\'d use that.
  • georgee
    georgee Posts: 537
    Cheers for the help,

I spoke with Hewitt, they said a dura ace hub will only now take dura ace cassettes, any truth in this, being cheap i'd go for a cassette that doesn't wear as fast...
  • Kléber
    Kléber Posts: 6,842
    If you don't want Condor in London, there used to be a good wheel builder on Lamb's Conduit Street. The shop's changed it's name since I last went: http://www.bikefix.co.uk
  • DavidBelcher
    DavidBelcher Posts: 2,684
    Monowai wrote:
    I was looking at Parkers wheels recently - but havent heard anything good or bad about them to be honest. Ribble used to have a dreadful reputation, but it was probably 10 years ago when i last bought a pair of wheels from them and they were shocking - spokes loosened after the first ride.

The rear wheel on my 'cross bike is a Parker offering (32h silver Open Pro/ACI Alpina d.b. stainless/8sp Campag Record Ti-axle hub), built about 6 years ago. Definitely good value for money - never needed any attention until the rim finally wore out through sheer wear & tear last spring. Now rebuilt and still going strong....
    I've heard mixed reports about Dave Hinde, but they supplied the front wheel a similar length of time ago for the same bike - 32h Open Pro/ACI Alpina again, but a Hope hub - and it's served me very well. Again, it's on its 2nd rim now. The hub itself is brilliant - still on the original bearings and it's never given any bother.

David
    "It is not enough merely to win; others must lose." - Gore Vidal
  • giant_man
    giant_man Posts: 6,878
    georgee wrote:
    Cheers for the help,

I spoke with Hewitt, they said a dura ace hub will only now take dura ace cassettes, any truth in this, being cheap i'd go for a cassette that doesn't wear as fast...

Well they should know, they are decent wheelbuilders with a very good reputation! :)
  • blackhands
    blackhands Posts: 950
    Beware of black spokes - they are not as reliable as plain ss ones - or according to my LBS - Paul at Harry Perry Cycles in Woolwich (and he's an expert wheelbuilder).
  • aztecboy
    aztecboy Posts: 384
    Is Roger Mussen still building?
    Everyone I have spoken to says his road builds are magnificent and never needed tweaking.

Aztecboy
    aztecboy
  • The Mechanic
    The Mechanic Posts: 1,277
    I would give Harry Rowland a call. Can't recall his number but I am sure someone will post it here soon. Harry has a awesome reputation as a wheel builder.
    I have only two things to say to that; Bo***cks
  • geoffp
    geoffp Posts: 116
    Harry Rowland is based in Ramsgate and can be contacted on 01843 597443.
  • OnTow
    OnTow Posts: 130
    blackhands wrote:
    Beware of black spokes - they are not as reliable as plain ss ones - or according to my LBS - Paul at Harry Perry Cycles in Woolwich (and he's an expert wheelbuilder).
    There was (according to old posts) a dodgy batch of - I think it was DT or poss. Sapim - spokes doing the rounds - the black anodisation seemed to cause a weakening of the structure. I guess the normal s/s finish gives a hard/tough outer coat.

Not had any trouble with my factory Campag. black-spoked Ventos - and they're seriously tight with not many spokes too!

Condor built my OP 32H CDs on Ultegra - superb, though someone did post to say Harry Rowland builds for Condor - not had it confirmed - Harry was certainly good when I called him - would have been my 2nd choice.

Also try Dauphin on Box Hill - great place and experienced wheel builder on site.