Hardtail Help

Barra Fatty
Barra Fatty Posts: 4
edited August 2007 in MTB buying advice
:shock:

I am taking the advantage of the cycle to work scheme and want to upgrade my clapped out old Marin with a 800quid (ish) hardtail. Been a few years since I have looked at any bikes and I am confused as hell with the choices currently out there... taking my eye are;
Orange P7
Scott Scale 50
Gary Fisher HKEK

want some thing that won't hinder getting my 14stone frame up the climbs but at the same time has a front end that will take some of the rocky lake district decents. ANy ideas fellas???

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    The Orange is more hardcore than the other two with its relaxed angles, sturdy steel frame and long travel fork, and heavy too at over 30lbs. The other two are more XC/trail based, the Scale quite long and low. You need to go and test a few out to get a feel of whats what.
  • x-isle
    x-isle Posts: 794
    I've got a Scale 50 and love it.

I did have to change the bars and stem though, because as Super Sonic said, it's for speed, I found it too stretched, but £100 later (using carbon bars and Race Face Deus stem, can be cheaper) I'm over the moon!

It's very light!
    Craig Rogers
  • Father Faff
    Father Faff Posts: 1,176
    I've got an old Orange P7 and they are super tough and reliable - I would thoroughly recommend it if you are going to do things like Walna Scar Road etc. However next time I do Walna Scar Road I shall be taking my full-sus just to be sure to be sure....!
    Commencal Meta 5.5.1
    Scott CR1