I love the English countryside

mba007
mba007 Posts: 95
edited August 2007 in XC and Enduro
It's just sooo relaxing riding through fields and lanes, thousands of bunnies hopping out of my way, foxes flitting across country roads, deer leaping through corn fields, occasional woodpeckers, great views and a general feeling of well-being.

Anyone wish to add why they love cycling through the countryside?

Good karma all round. :)

Comments

• ddoogie
    ddoogie Posts: 4,159
    Not seeing another person for miles around. A perfect two hours of solitude.
    S-works Stumpjumper FSR

I'll see you at the end.

You'll see me on the floor.
  • Scubar
    Scubar Posts: 453
    I love love being able to cycle along on my own through fields and trails just enjoying the sights and thinking about things.

My Marin Hawkhill 2007 - http://www.pinkbike.com/photo/1382583/
  • Because I live in the countryside and get to cycle right next to theriver trent which is a few metres down the road
    Giant XTC 2.5 '08
    Felt Virtue 3 '10
    Giant Defy 2 '11
    Giant Terrago Disc '07 - Convereted for CX
    Fit Team Park Bmx '08
  • S_J_P
    S_J_P Posts: 908
    I love the countryside too, the smells, the solitude, the sounds, and stopping off for a rest in some secluded corner of a field :D

Unfortuantely it's all too often spoiled by lunatic motorcyclists or quad drivers, burned out Vauxhall Nova's blocking the way, and discarded litter :(

It's not just other users who can spoil a nice ride, my local Byway, which was always a challenging mix of surfaces, has recently been "improved" by the local authority, and is now more of a fire-road along half of it's length than a decent technical ride :(
  • The Spiderman
    The Spiderman Posts: 5,625
    Even just 30 miles from London,in Hertfordshire where I live,its possible to find peace,quiet and soliltude in the english countryside on a bike.

I`m just contemplating going out now.This time of year its not so quiet as the tractors and combine harvesters are out in force,but its nice to reminded that there are still some fields and countryside sights to be seen.
    2006 Giant XTC
    2010 Giant Defy Advanced
    2016 Boardman Pro 29er
    2016 Pinnacle Lithium 4
    2017 Canondale Supersix Evo
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,348
    Unfortunatly I'm in Lincolnshire so theres no hills so it can get rather boring and it gets cut up by horses (that i never see anywhere)

but yes the pretty bunnies and hares and micees are lovely
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • Noodoo
    Noodoo Posts: 214
    I live on the outskirts of manchester and i'm not far from hills, woodland (my house backs onto part of Tame Valley) and general countyside-ness and i must say that every time I go out locally, I feel thankful that I live in this part of the world.

For me, it's the smells and sounds that I love about the woodlands and the sheer open space of the hills that make life worth living.

Saracen Mantra with Marzocchi MX Pro ETA\'s, 24-7 Silverstar pedals... and a map holder.
  • Because I live in the countryside and get to cycle right next to theriver trent which is a few metres down the road
    ah nice, whereabouts? my mum lives just next to the trent
  • Hoveringham
    Giant XTC 2.5 '08
    Felt Virtue 3 '10
    Giant Defy 2 '11
    Giant Terrago Disc '07 - Convereted for CX
    Fit Team Park Bmx '08
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Yep, riding isnt all about riding trails like a fly with its arse onfire, or tearing round lifeless man made trail centres. Out in the open with mother nature as you friend and enemy is what many of us bike for. I feel like a Mint Sauce moment. Sob.
  • dunker
    dunker Posts: 1,503
    i had some dragon flies flying in formation with me down a long lane today, just brilliant :D
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Remember the first time I saw a draogonfly, I was like, 'what the chuff is that?!!!'. just hovering in front of me. Rode a bit further to this pond and were dozens of them, all different colours.
  • beski
    beski Posts: 542
    Sometimes I'm knackered (like I was this morning) but push myself out over the south downs for a ride, & as usual i never regret it, returning home even more knackered but invigorated by some of the best views in the world. Countless spots of interesting wildlife from rabbits to weasels, foxes, loads of species of birds (first spottings in my area this year of stonechats, buzzards) & now i've started noticing different butterflies, peacocks, red admirals, tortoiseshells, marbled whites, all spotted this year and id'd from an old observers book of butterflies that i picked up in a 2nd hand bookshop - priceless :lol:
    Giant Defy 4 2014
    GT Avalanche Expert 2006
    Specialized Hardrock 1989