Dublin bike shops?????

Eat My Dust
Eat My Dust Posts: 3,965
edited August 2007 in The bottom bracket
Can anybody give me details of any good bike shops in Dublin? I've a friend that has moved there, and is having trouble finding a bike shop that will take her serious (as she's a girl!!)

Comments

• LangerDan
    LangerDan Posts: 6,132
    Has she tried Cycleways (Parnell st., I think) in the city centre or Cyclesuperstore in Tallaght. Both are fairly good shops.

It might be worth pinging or PM'ing Kaa on this forum - she lives and works in Dublin, I'm only a culchie (your friend will explain....)
    'This week I 'ave been mostly been climbing like Basso - Shirley Basso.'
  • timoid.
    timoid. Posts: 3,133
    The cultchie is right. Cycleways and Tallaght Cycle Superstore are your best bet.

Of the two, the superstore is probably less sniffy, but harder to get to.
    It's a little like wrestling a gorilla. You don't quit when you're tired. You quit when the gorilla is tired.
  • Eat My Dust
    Eat My Dust Posts: 3,965
    Thanks guys :D
  • kaacp
    kaacp Posts: 93
    LangerDan wrote:
    Has she tried Cycleways (Parnell st., I think) in the city centre or Cyclesuperstore in Tallaght. Both are fairly good shops.

It might be worth pinging or PM'ing Kaa on this forum - she lives and works in Dublin, I'm only a culchie (your friend will explain....)

Ah, Dan, at last the admission that is music to every Dub's ears!

Anyway to answer the OP, being a girl too, I have had no problem being taken seriously in bike shops. I agree that Cycleways in Parnell Street is worth a visit, and it is in the city centre. I use the Cycle Superstore in Tallaght regularly, as I don't work in the city centre, so it is handier. Eat My Dust, is you want to mail me off forum amd tell me where in Dublin your friend lives, I might be able to recommend somewhere near her.
    Life is like a ten speed bicycle. Most of us have gears we never use.
    Charles M. Schulz
  • Cyclelogical on the quays in Dublin is a very good shop (albeit a very expensive one), they are one of the main Colnago dealerships in Dublin, so if your friend is going in tell her to bring a full wallet
    Cycle superstore in Tallaght is an excellent shop. The staff are very helpful and wont sell you something you dont need. All the staff seem to be either competitive cyclists or triathletes so they dont just do the sales pitch. They tell you from experience what works and what dosen't.
  • comsense
    comsense Posts: 245
    I had resigned myelf to buying from the internet after trying to buy a road bike in Dublin. Despite the fact that I was racing before most of these guys were born they tried to sell me what they had in stock instead of what I required. There is a small Clondalkin shop ( in the shopping centre) called Wheelworx. A chap in there listened to me and allowed me to test ride a couple of different models. He spent time ensuring I was absolutely certain we had the right model and size, fit etc. This took place over a period of about two weeks and I never felt pressured to purchase while the chap displayed patience and excellent customer commitment.
    I was so impressed with his advise and service that I bought a Giant carbon SCR and a Tricross for winter/commute.
    While bikes were being ordered he kept me updated with texts and changed out parts on the bikes ( cassette,Wheels etc) to be certain that I was best served by my purchases.At no time was I pressured to buy and only got first rate advise . In short I'd reccomend them because they LISTEN & they will actually work for your hard earned cash. Just so you know - I only know these guys through these purchases and have no other allegiance to them.
  • Philip Davis
    Philip Davis Posts: 965
    Just to agree with the others - if you can get to it, Cyclesuperstore in Tallaght is very good, although like a lot of big shops the quality of the staff varies. They do bikefitting, which is expensive, but well worth it if your friend isn't too confident about the set up of her bike. I think its something like 60 euro a fitting, but the guy I did it with was very professional, very helpful. They mainly sell LaPierre bikes as well as Treks.

Cycleways on Parnell Street is very good - they also tend to have quite a few female staff who are often good riders and a very good selection of female kit. There is a helpful Polish girl who works there who may be worth seeking out - some of the other staff members there can be a bit sniffy about people who aren't hard core. They used to have a South African guy who worked part time who was also a coach and previously gave me very good advice about bike set-up, but I haven't seen him there in a while.

Cyclogical on Batchelors Walk is a really good shop - lots of great bikes and the guys are all very keen cyclists and very knowledgable. Although they are very much oriented towards expensive road and mtb bikes, a female friend of mine who was just looking for a commuting bike says they were by far the most helpful and friendly of any of the shops she tried.

There is also a very good shop in Dundrum (famous for its Stephen Roche connection). The name escapes me right now, but its just a few minutes walk from the light rail station and it has a great reputation.

I hate to advocate drugs, violence or insanity to anyone, but they\'ve always worked for me.\' Hunter S. Thompson
  • Aidocp
    Aidocp Posts: 868
    I've been out of Dublin a while now, but I used to go to Cycleways or Cyclogical if I needed something fast (they carry quite a good stock), I also used to frequent a smaller shop on Ranelagh Road and I popped into other shops occaisionally.
  • LangerDan

There is also a very good shop in Dundrum (famous for its Stephen Roche connection). The name escapes me right now, but its just a few minutes walk from the light rail station and it has a great reputation.

Joe Dalys? - still have set of wheels built by them 18 years ago.
  • tony_s
    tony_s Posts: 237
    Was in Joe Dalys about 9 months ago: they seem to have moved away from the whole road bike scene compared to the way they were 20 or so years ago. Joes eldest son used to ride around on an absolutely stonking 753 Team Raliegh back in those days; when I asked 'em if he maybe still had said machine stashed at the back of his garage, I got a sort of "what's a 753 Team Raliegh?" reaction

couple o\'pics
  • kaacp
    Should've mentioned Wolfe Cycles on Sundrive Road, Crumlin, as well. I bought my new road bike there last May and got superb service. It was the first time I'd used them and I've been back. They don't carry the amount of stock of Cycleways or the Superstore, but I'm sure they'd order stuff in no bother.
    Charles M. Schulz
  • My name is dan and i'm a culchie. Better than being a feckin jackeen.
    Dan
  • meenaghman
    meenaghman Posts: 345
    Or even worse a DULCHIE -- aka a Dub who has moved down to pollute, I mean reside in the countryside. Particulary prevalent this time of year wearing a blue jersey advertising Arnotts, or sporting Robbie Keanes latest teams most hideous away strip. Most likely to get a kicking from the locals when he's buys a pint and has change from 5 euros and is thick enough to tell the barman that the pint is really cheap compared to what he's used to paying, thus being responsible for huge inflation in the Retail Price Index.

Why do Dubs have big noses ?
    Cos they've got big fingers !
  • Except in Connemara 4 where they are wearing burberry's latest creation which makes an Arnott's strip, or Robbie Keane's spandex look the epitome of taste. I was in a Cafe in Ballyconnely last year when one such creature had a sip of her coffee, turned to her mate and said "It's not too bad actually, but it's not storebocks"
    WTF would anyone drive a ferrari to Connemara? It's not exactly the nuremberg ring.
    Dan
  • kaacp
    Woohoo! They're biting well today! :twisted: :twisted:
    Charles M. Schulz
  • HungryCol
    HungryCol Posts: 532
    So there you have it...

Natures way of ensuring that conflict arises without the need of Religion. The Dub v Cluchie or even the Dub Southsider v Dub Northsider, or even hatred of supporters of other sporting teams. Where would we be without conflict? Huh?
    Every winner has scars.
  • LangerDan
    Like Brendan Behan said, "when a bunch of Irishmen get together to organise something, the first thing on the agenda is a split"

BTW, Kaa, if you don't start being nice to us, we'll stop funding all those lovely trains, trams and port tunnels. Theres no way you lot can afford them just selling frappucinos and timeshares to each other. :P
  • boleary
    boleary Posts: 49
    Getting back on the topic of Dublin bike shops. On the north side there is Jimmy Humphry's in Finglas and John Piggot in the Bike Rack in Cabinteely on the south side.
    Brendan
  • kaacp
    LangerDan wrote:
    BTW, Kaa, if you don't start being nice to us, we'll stop funding all those lovely trains, trams and port tunnels. Theres no way you lot can afford them just selling frappucinos and timeshares to each other. :P

I assure you, some of my best friends are culchies.... :lol::lol:
    Charles M. Schulz
  • LangerDan
    Kaacp wrote:
    LangerDan wrote:

I assure you, some of my best friends are culchies.... :lol::lol:

You make it sound like some dark, embarassing secret - like Ross O'Carroll-Kelly admitting to having lusted over a Northside camogie player.......
  • kaacp
    Being that rare thing, a Dub with two Dublin parents (and three Dublin grandparents), I missed out on those summers in the country with relatives that my classmates had. So I'm probably just jealous really!! :wink:
    Charles M. Schulz
  • ajjh
    ajjh Posts: 4
    what about the shop in templeogue down the road from the morgue it used to have a few good bikes
  • LangerDan
    Three Dublin grandparents? Was there a fourth from outside the Pale or are those rumour about the "closeness" of old Dublin families true?
  • kaacp
    ajjh wrote:
    what about the shop in templeogue down the road from the morgue it used to have a few good bikes

Hollingsworth, I think. Though I was unaware of a morgue in Templeogue... They have a good road bike selection, if I remember rightly. I haven't been there for a while.
    Charles M. Schulz
  • kaacp
    LangerDan wrote:
    Three Dublin grandparents? Was there a fourth from outside the Pale or are those rumour about the "closeness" of old Dublin families true?

Shame, shame!! One was from Derry, so I will have slightly divided loyalties on 11 August!
    Charles M. Schulz
  • ajjh
    ajjh Posts: 4
    the pub not the place full of dead bodies
  • ajjh wrote:

Bought my bike in there. Staff very nice to talk to but not really interested in anything other than whats on display. They werent interested in fitting me for the bike (and i knew no better at the time) and advice is like trying to get blood from a stone.
  • timoid.
    timoid. Posts: 3,133
    My name is dan and i'm a culchie. Better than being a feckin jackeen.

Easy Flatty. I'm born and bred Galway and proud to be a cultchie.

Although technically I'm half jackeen, cos my Mam is a Dub.

Although technically she's half cultchie.

This is all getting very confusing.
    It's a little like wrestling a gorilla. You don't quit when you're tired. You quit when the gorilla is tired.
  • Had no idea that there were so many irish riders using this site. You learn something every day (and although i promised myself I wouldnt get involved in the current discussion..........both parents from dublin, one grandfather from cork the other from germany.........ive no idea what that makes me :lol:
  • kaacp
    Had no idea that there were so many irish riders using this site. You learn something every day (and although i promised myself I wouldnt get involved in the current discussion..........both parents from dublin, one grandfather from cork the other from germany.........ive no idea what that makes me :lol:

Confused? :wink: Maybe you and Timoid could set up a support group!! :)
    Charles M. Schulz