Money for doping penalties

bobtravers
bobtravers Posts: 115
edited July 2007 in Pro race
What is the UCI doing with all money that they got from 3 riders failed with doping contracts they signed before TdF?? You remember that they agreed to put there salary on the line if they're found guilty on doping charges??

Are they putting money on more anti-doping controls or what??

Comments

• LangerDan
    LangerDan Posts: 6,132
    bobtravers wrote:
    What is the UCI doing with all money that they got from 3 riders failed with doping contracts they signed before TdF?? You remember that they agreed to put there salary on the line if they're found guilty on doping charges??

Are they putting money on more anti-doping controls or what??

The money is due to fund anti-doping efforts. However a cent can't be collected until the riders are convicted of a doping offense and have the full two-year suspension imposed. (All this assumes that the UCI contract is binding)
    'This week I 'ave been mostly been climbing like Basso - Shirley Basso.'
  • skut
    skut Posts: 371
    I have always thought it was dubious having a financial incentive for the UCI to find people positive. Oh well, at least they seem to be catching people now
  • carlstone
    carlstone Posts: 602
    The validity of the contract was already being questioned before all of the doping revelations appeared in the Tour. I should imagine a lengthy court battle would ensue if the UCI tried to get the money off the riders involved.

It was a nice idea but really only a headline grabber rather than a serious sanction IMHO.

Didn't appear to have the desired effect did it!
  • Kléber
    Kléber Posts: 6,842
    Legally, I think it's lightweight. Morally it should carry more weight. Can you imagine a Pro Tour team signing a ride who, having had a two year ban, refused to pay back the money too? So maybe only those riders who cop the ban and follow the spirit of the agreement are likely to make it back into the bunch.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Sorry, but it's all barmy.
    "You lose your job mate ,oh and by the way, can you give us all the money you earned this year."
    Not a snowball in hell's chance of them getting a brass farthing.