Rear mech - long vs short cage?

silly lily
silly lily Posts: 505
edited July 2007 in MTB buying advice
Hi! Could someone please explain to me this short-lomg cage business? I think I have the bsic understanding, but as I'm looking to replace my (busted) Shimano Acera rear mech, I''d really like to know which Shimano to go for (I have Shimano EF50 Shifters)? Short cage I understand gives more ground-clearance (could use it)... can it be fitted to any bike? Whtat's the difference in performance?
My On One Inbred and Com Meta 5.5.1:
http://silly-lily.pinkbike.com/album/My-MTB/

www.sophialibris.com
Academic Coaching and Advising Consultancy

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    it is all to do with range.

3 rings at front long
    2 - med
    1 - short

is a brief summary.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • russ0228
    russ0228 Posts: 228
    myself and a hell of lot regulars and wmb for that matter have stated you can use a medium cage on a triple and a short on a double and a single. hell the spesh p all mtn comes with a doubles and it uses a sram x-9 short cage. the long cage is for the uneducated who tyr use get big ring to big ring.
    internet (in ter net), secret sanctuary of idiots and nutters.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    russ i agree to a level but unless you know that the range is ...... you can have problems.

an then there is the chain grow situation on a fully.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • russ0228
    russ0228 Posts: 228
    thats what we get paid for though isn't it. no problems yet, touch wood and all that. i do hear what you are saying though. as long as you cut the chain to the right length you will be fine.
    internet (in ter net), secret sanctuary of idiots and nutters.
  • silly lily
    silly lily Posts: 505
    Yep, thanks for that, got it! Ordered the Shimano LX 581.
    My On One Inbred and Com Meta 5.5.1:
    http://silly-lily.pinkbike.com/album/My-MTB/

www.sophialibris.com
    Academic Coaching and Advising Consultancy