Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix...

Melvil
Melvil Posts: 2,219
edited August 2007 in The bottom bracket
...was actually better than I was expecting. Daniel Radcliffe still can't act, though. Special effects very good and Alan Rickman criminally underused as Snape, easily the best character in it.

Thoughts, anyone?

Mel.

Comments

• ibbowmb
    ibbowmb Posts: 13
    I have begrudgingly started to read the HP books as my 6 year old daughter is reading them(with a little help)in the school hols as recommended by her teacher because she is too advanced for the usual school reads!My good friend(and riding bud)has read all the books and has tried to "get me into them"until now i have declined as i thought the books were for kids.I still cannot see the facination for anyone over about 12!!but thats just my opinion and my daughter loves it,which is the main thing.We have the first three books to read in the hols,so it'll probably be about 6/7 months before we get to the last one,i hear they get a lot darker as they go on.Shes seen the 1st film and enjoyed it,but until she's older i think we'll stick to the books
    Its grim up north(snigger)
  • david 142
    david 142 Posts: 227
    I think your sacrifice will be worth it, and possibly less arduous than you expect! The earlier ones at least are very motivating for young kids. My lad was getting on fine with his reading at school, then we listened to that Boxing day Broadcast by Steven Fry. The very next day he borrowed his sisters copy and we didnt see him till lunchtime :lol: It just transformed him from a willing reader to a compulsive one, and of big books without piccies at that! Give her a few days and she probably wont wait for you to get home...
    I would say that a six year old might find The Half Blood Prince less readable than its predecessors - its a bit more suspense and a bit less magical imagery. It wont hurt to let her have a look at it and decide for herself, there's nothing "innappropriate" - its just aimed at a slightly older readership
  • Buggi
    Buggi Posts: 674
    i ripped the piss out of my sister for getting them, kids books and all that, and then when i was bored one day, i picked one up... 3 weeks later i had read 5 and i was like "well, where's the next one" and she was like "it ain't been written yet!". totally converted, there is stuff in the 1st two books that seems trivial that have real reference in the later books, i dunno how the hell she planned it so well.

the books are by far better than the movies, but the later movies are better than the first two.

as for the dementors, i heard the inspiration for it was her ex-husband. for those that haven't read the books, the dementors are like prison officers, creatures that drain all your good energy so you are left feeling lonely and depressed etc. to recover from their effects Harry has to eat magic chocolate. i heard she got the inspiration bcoz every time her ex came round after he left she always felt really low, so she would reach for the nearest chocolate bar. :D

To infinity... and beyond!
    my epic adventure: www.action.org.uk/~Antonia
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,348
    nice buggi...........;like that alot

how far have ypou got with the new book?! has anyone spoiled it yet, ive had several close calls with w*****s on youtube etc etc?!

gonna have to finish it tonight to make sure i'm pure
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • heavymental
    heavymental Posts: 2,076
    I thought the film was great. The duelling scene between Dumbledore and Voldemort was brilliant. Better than any Light Sabre fight in the Star Wars films. I think the director is sticking around for the next film so I think that should be worth waiting for.
  • OldSeagul
    OldSeagul Posts: 574
    edited August 2007
    My colleague at work suggests that I start a Sad B*stds Club because of my admitting that I read Harry Potter.
    The people who turn their swords into ploughshares, generally end up working for the people who kept their swords!
  • DavidBelcher
    DavidBelcher Posts: 2,684
    ddraver wrote:

how far have ypou got with the new book?!

I still need to get round to reading the 6th one, never mind the 7th! So far have managed to escape any spoilers concerning either book (touch wood)....

David
    "It is not enough merely to win; others must lose." - Gore Vidal
  • heavymental
    heavymental Posts: 2,076
    Get reading David! The last 2 are pretty good reads. Kids books or not they're certainly well written and engaging.
  • tonyw43
    tonyw43 Posts: 249
    I have to admit that I went out and bought the book pretty sharpish, then read teh last two pages before starting at the beginning. I couldn't help it, I just needed to know what happened. I know, I need therapy. :shock:
  • jibi
    jibi Posts: 857
    Its like a soap opera on the telly
    keep hooking the viewers/readers
    Or fast food
    you enjoy it even though you know its bad for you

george
  • OldSeagul
    OldSeagul Posts: 574
    I'd been counting down the days since the release date was announced. I received book 7 from Amazon at 9.30am on the Saturday and I read it all in the next 15 hours. I also stayed away from TV and the Internet in case of spoilers. I'm 46 and I still want to be a wizard!
    The people who turn their swords into ploughshares, generally end up working for the people who kept their swords!