I need to shift some weight!!!

mtb1975
mtb1975 Posts: 33
Having a baby (well my wife did) 8 months ago meant my road bike's been sadly underused whilst my eratic eating/drinking/lack of sleep and exercise has meant the pounds have piled on - especially in the belly department. So how do I get fit again? Short intense rides several times a week or longer rides on a weekend? Time is still short but I'm really starting to feel the effects of little exercise, so I need to make best use of the time I have.

Comments

• ut_och_cykla
    ut_och_cykla Posts: 1,594
    If time is short harder efforts are a better idea BUT may be too much to start off with. At 8 months you will soon be able to little'un in a child seat on a bike - perfect for nice rides - nothing mad or too long for little'un tho! brisk walks with teh pram are good too but perhasp a bit too easy for you. Just try and get more active generally and perhaps get turbo (if space & money allow) which would allow hard. focused training that doesn't take too much time. But above all enjoy teh little'un - he/she will be a lanky surly teenager before you know it!
  • carlstone
    carlstone Posts: 602
    I agree, little and often. Long rides are a bit selfish IMO when your services are required elsewhere. I fit mine in in the morning before work, but dinner time is another possible for a short sharp ride. Only you know how long a ride is acceptable for your situation.

Oh, and enjoy the little 'un they grow up fast!
  • fossyant
    fossyant Posts: 2,549
    Same situation here - ride upto an hour in the week a few times, then upto 2 hours on sat and sunday (first thing in the morning).

Cut out daytime snacking and go for healthy home made sandwiches for lunch - that's what's made me loose 4kg in 6 weeks. Resisting office cakes and sweets has to be done as well.

Also cut out the booze (at least mid week) - I'm getting there with this one.

If poss, and if you can, commute some times as well.
  • Shavedlegs
    Shavedlegs Posts: 310
    I've (my wife) has just had our second baby and in the space of 4 weeks I've lost 3Kg despite being 5'10'' and only weighing 70kg in the first place. I put it down to being awake more and cycling to work hard without having had any breakfast.

Obviously make sure you eat afterwards otherwise you'll starve. I suspect this isn't wise long term, but for quick sharp weight loss seems to work.
  • domtyler
    domtyler Posts: 2,648
    Losing weight quickly is never a good idea, just make the appropriate changes to your life style and your body shape will change to reflect them.

I have an eight month old too, I cycle to work and back every day,almost half an hour each way at a very fast tempo frequently into the red zone and get to work or home pouring rivers of sweat (yes there are showers at work). At the weekends I still get up at 5-5:30 and go out by 6, back by 9-10:30, having covered anything up to 80 miles and cook breakfast for wife and take over the baby duties, smiles all round. This leaves the whole of the day to spend with family.

This, along with small things like always taking the stairs at work help me to keep fit and trim while also giving plenty of time to work and family.
    ________
    MOTORCYCLE TIRES
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Porridge not Petrol