Chaffing?

manick0de
manick0de Posts: 202
edited July 2007 in Workshop
I've been cycling for a year now and over the last 2 weeks I've developed a chaffing on the inside of my legs in a rather intimate area where things join :oops: . I don't know why It's stared, no changes to the bike. Anyway, It's strange that the pain doesn't increase, and there's no skin broken. Do i just have to wait until the skin hardens?

Comments

• wasi
    wasi Posts: 109
    Sudo cream?
  • Yorkshireman
    Yorkshireman Posts: 999
    Get some Sudocrem from chemists, ASDA etc and slap it on the affected area before riding and after washing after riding ... Good enough for babies bums, so ... Might sound a bit cheeky, but do you wash after rides (more than half an hours riding say), are you wearing proper cycling shorts (without underpants on), have you put on a bit of weight recently? Others will no doubt be along with more advice/suggestions - it's not an uncommon problem :wink:
    Colin N.

Lincolnshire is mostly flat... but the wind is mostly in your face!
  • Eat My Dust
    Eat My Dust Posts: 3,965
    This might sound odd, but try thrush cream. If there is a slight infection, this will get rid of it. My wife was so amused when I came back from the doctors with this advice!! :oops:
  • fossyant
    fossyant Posts: 2,549
    Sudocream - fantastic stuff - use it quite a bit these days. Saved two full tubs being chucked out - from when the kids were slightly younger - now for my bike battered bits.
  • Greenbank
    Greenbank Posts: 731
    "Chaffing"? Been watching too much Top Gun? Seriously..

Could be an infection if it has just appeared from nowhere and hasn't been a problem before. Hygiene is a big factor.

An antiseptic cream such as Sudocrem or Savlon can help but, as others have said, there should be no reason why you have to use this every time. As for the commando-or-not discussion, I wear boxer shorts under cycling shorts (always have, always will do, no idea why), and I don't use any creams or lotions and I can quite happily do 20+ hours in the saddle without a hint of chafing.
    --
    If I had a baby elephant signature, I\'d use that.
  • Cajun
    Cajun Posts: 1,048
    http://www.wiggle.co.uk/ProductDetail.a ... ar%2036.9g
    Non greasy and no stains on the clothing...does not absorb into the pad. Best product I've ever used..
    Are you wearing clean shorts for beginning each ride? Prior to dressing, cleanse the area with an Antistringent (ie, Witch Hazel) then apply your product....
    Cajun
  • manick0de
    Thanks for the advice. I currently ride 20 miles a day through commuting. I wear clean bib shorts everyday, except for the return journey, with no undies. I've always used sudo-creme during rhe ride and I shower as soon as I get to work and as soon as I get home. It sounds to me like I've got an infection so I'm going to explore options down that route, may give that thrush cream idea a go.
  • Yorkshireman
    manick0de wrote:
    Thanks for the advice. I currently ride 20 miles a day through commuting. I wear clean bib shorts everyday, except for the return journey, with no undies. I've always used sudo-creme during rhe ride and I shower as soon as I get to work and as soon as I get home. It sounds to me like I've got an infection so I'm going to explore options down that route, may give that thrush cream idea a go.

Right. Looks as if you've been doing all the right things, and you possibly do have an infection. Don't mess about (and chance making it harder to sort out ), get to the doctors - he/she will know which medication will be needed and it will be cleared up quicker (does this sound like the voice of experience :lol: ).
    Colin N.

• graham_g
    graham_g Posts: 652
    Cajun wrote:
    http://www.wiggle.co.uk/ProductDetail.aspx?Cat=cycle&ProdID=5360019081&N=Bodyglide Skin Formula Regular 36.9g
    Non greasy and no stains on the clothing...does not absorb into the pad. Best product I've ever used..
    Are you wearing clean shorts for beginning each ride? Prior to dressing, cleanse the area with an Antistringent (ie, Witch Hazel) then apply your product....

A tub of slide'n'ride is proabably cheaper :D
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,407
    if you ve got a tube of savlon around before shelliung out for the Canestan that might help relieve the pain as its antiseptic
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • khumbu8000
    khumbu8000 Posts: 59
    vaseline
    and check your saddle is not too high
  • Yorkshireman
    khumbu8000 wrote:
    vaseline
    and check your saddle is not too high

Vaseline is good for small areas, but as it is waterproof it can block pores and lead to complications in cases like those manick0de has.
    Colin N.

• hammerite
    hammerite Posts: 3,408
    I'll second the body glide, used it for years of running. Even stops the old problem of "joggers nipple", ouch!
  • penugent
    penugent Posts: 913
    You can buy canesten thrush cream, but Canesten athletes foot and jock itch cream has the same active ingredient and costs less - as will a generic clotrimazole cream.
  • manick0de
  • T800
    T800 Posts: 672
    Tinea cruris, a fungal infection -- if your efforts with Savlon/Sudocrem/Germolene haven't worked -- is the likely cause, and that will need possible systemic treatment (terbinafine tablets, or similar) if topical anti-fungals don't work. A doctor's visit may well be required, I'm afraid. Have a look at this Merck Maual page where, if you scroll down, you'll find some info on Tinea cruris and a small photo of its effects.
    manick0de wrote:
    I've been cycling for a year now and over the last 2 weeks I've developed a chaffing on the inside of my legs in a rather intimate area where things join :oops: . I don't know why It's stared, no changes to the bike. Anyway, It's strange that the pain doesn't increase, and there's no skin broken. Do i just have to wait until the skin hardens?

Damn! You beat me to it. Anyway, hope the Merck link is helpful.

Edited as original poster posted to say that he had found info he was looking for while I was typing my post.
    So, after a lot of thought, I'd like to reconsider. Please, if it's not too late, make it a cheeseburger.

Just a pic of my bike.