Never mind the money, here's the bread

Johnny Ergo
Johnny Ergo Posts: 40
edited July 2007 in The bottom bracket
I baked my first ever loaf of Irish soda bread yesterday (got instructions from Irish mother). It was delicious - ate the whole lot with real butter while watching final stage of TdF. I got tested afterwards and had a positive reading for being a greedy fat b*st*rd. Oops! :roll:

Comments

• Lbaguley
    Lbaguley Posts: 161
    Mmm nice.

Can you let me have the recipe, please?

Ta
  • Certainly, and apologies for any vagueness but this is what I had to work with:
    About three mugfulls of self-raising flour
    Three fistfulls of bran (wheat bran I used)
    One teaspoon of bicarbonate of soda
    Mix it all together and then add enough milk (sour is meant to be best and buttermilk is supposed to be good) until it is doughy enough that you can shape it and knead it. Don't knead it too much as apparently this will make it tough! Sprinkle flour around to stop it sticking to things. Finally press or roll it into a circle shape so that it is about an inch and a half thick.
    Place on a baking tray and insert into pre-heated oven gas mark 7 (don't know the electric equivalent) for about 25 minutes.
    When you remove from oven, cover with clean tea towel and place on wire cake stand-thing (this is to stop crust getting too hard, I think - or could be old wives' tale).
    Allow to cool for as long as you can - smother with butter (don't even think about low fat spread) and enjoy.
    Good luck & bon appetit
    :D
  • meenaghman
    meenaghman Posts: 345
    Ah the days when my mother baked bread and we'd be waiting for it to come out of the oven.. loads of butter dripping of hot brown bread, or my favourite which was treacle and ginger bread. On an aside how does one pronounce the word scones..
    I pronounce it so it rhymes with cons, but my wife pronounces it so it rhymes with stones. Whats the posh way and whats the right way ?