Prof of practical ethics on doping

iainf72
iainf72 Posts: 15,784
edited July 2007 in Pro race
This is sure to wind some people up.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/main.j ... rug130.xml
Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.

Comments

• andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,128
    I think the fundamental question is - do you want to watch a sporting contest and think that it is a fair one, i.e. that any of the competitors is capable of winning?

I'm opposed to the legalisation of doping per se but I do think the rules can be relaxed for certain drugs, i.e. those available over the counter without prescription. I can go and buy these to counter any minor ailments I may have so I see no reason why a pro cyclist shouldn't have the same option. The likes of blood doping, EPO and growth hormone should remain banned as they require medical assistance in administration and clearly give an advantage for those prepared to take the risk.
  • floatman
    floatman Posts: 28
    the legalisation argument always falls down when you expand your focus from the high-end elite athletes who can avail themselves of the best medical teams to the average club rider who is anxious to go faster and is now, under the above proposal, allowed to take anything as long as it doesnt adversely affect his health.... well how is he supposed to know how much to take and where will the medical staff be at the local criterium to assess his healthiness? a proper monitoring of the health of every competitive rider at any level in the world would cost infinitely more than the doping controls now in place.
  • john ponting
    john ponting Posts: 491
    I think I agree with AndyP - why should an athlete be denied some medecines that I can legally buy otc (often in a supermarket) ?

The only problem that I forsee is different availability in different countries. In Britain we are reasonably tight on what can by bought otc but I suspect that some countries are a bit more lax. Maybe a "control" country - if you can buy it otc there then it is OK?
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    But are those local crit riders subject to doping controls now?

I'm not supportive of legalising it but I think compelling arguments can be made for it which is why I posted the link.

My problem with it is it skews everything and you're not sure if the best guy is winning.
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • Moose11
    Moose11 Posts: 235
    No i dont think they should open it up for riders to dope if they wish. Where do you stop with regards do performance enhancing then? Can riders strap a powerboost button onto their handlbars?
  • floatman
    floatman Posts: 28
    iainf72 wrote:
    But are those local crit riders subject to doping controls now?

as I understand it anyone who holds a licence can be required to undergo a doping control .... naturally it is very rarely invoked at amateur levels
  • top_bhoy
    top_bhoy Posts: 1,424
    One of the other problems could be that an otc medecine could contain 'ingredients' which are used as masking agents for other more powerful and more dangerous drugs. In such a case, how could you determine if the drug was legally taken - I don't think a medical certificate is adequate as that would be open to all sorts of abuse worse than we currently have.