Will it work - road cranks/120mm OLN rear end

JonEdwards
JonEdwards Posts: 452
edited July 2007 in Road general
The BB on my fixed Pista is dying, as are the chain, ring and sprocket.

Given I've not been overly impressed with the stiffness of the Condor branded cranks (I run XTstuff on my MTBs), I'd like to fit something stiffer. Decent track cranks are way expensive (Record Pista or Dura Ace), but something like Tiagra or 105 road cranks would be perfect.

What are the issues with chainline (Pista is 120mm OLN). If I run the ring in the inboard position will that work?
(BB is a standard 68mm job, so that end works fine)

Cheers,

Jon

Comments

• graham_g
    graham_g Posts: 652
    I've run regular double cranksets on two fixed wheel/ss projects with 120mm oln - they've both been virtually spot on with the chainring mounted on the inside and a 110mm BB.
  • rustychisel
    rustychisel Posts: 3,444
    Yeah, same as Graham, I've been okay with the chainring on the outside position of a double road crankset and a Durace cog outboard and had virtually perfect line. 'Should' be okay, and you can adjust it by a couple of mm.
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    I\'m only escaping to here because the office is having a conniption
  • rendo
    rendo Posts: 194
    you could have a look at the miche track chainset, usually available witn BB for £70. a very nice chainset
  • s.frisby
    s.frisby Posts: 48
    I wonder if you've checked out the website for Byercycles. www.byercycles.co.uk

If you need new, inexpensive track/fixed gear bits & bobs this is a great place to look.

I've used the shop many times and the people there are very helpful.

Steve
    As one door closes, another slams in your face.
  • graham_g
    That £30 track crankset is FAR from stiff though! (fine the other half's single speed though)
  • JonEdwards
    JonEdwards Posts: 452
    Thing is - a Tiagra c/set including BB is £35. - half the price of the Miche (which doesn't have the BB), and probably lighter/stiffer too. The cheapy Byercycles one is probably worse than the Condor one (rebadged stronglight???) I've already got....

Thanks for all your replies though!
  • graham_g
    Jon, I'd do much the same replacing cranks as I can't help but think that there is a premium price for track cranks which is not worth paying for road use.
  • Fab Foodie
    Fab Foodie Posts: 5,155
    Graham G wrote:
    I've run regular double cranksets on two fixed wheel/ss projects with 120mm oln - they've both been virtually spot on with the chainring mounted on the inside and a 110mm BB.

Seconded.

The pessimists of this world are rarely disappointed....
    Fab's TCR1
  • Fixed Wheelnut
    Fixed Wheelnut Posts: 2,267
    Fab Foodie wrote:
    Graham G wrote:

Seconded.

Thirded all my hacks run like that :D