My ruined knees

teacherman
teacherman Posts: 454
Just started mountain biking again after way too long off the bike. Seems to be the only form of exercise that desn't make my knee joints feel like they're full of glass. Started to get reasonably fit but want to start doing proper rides again - climbs, descents, rocks and roots etc. Any advice on how to get fit (especially on the hills) without knacking my knees? :?
I hate it when people say David Beckham's stupid...its not like anyone ever says: 'Stephen Hawking - he's s**t at football.' Paul Calf

Comments

• h i r 0
    h i r 0 Posts: 76
    I'm (still) recovering from a double lateral release (muscle cut to release kneecaps) and arthroscopy (standard scrape and hoover) in March. I've found that spinning in a low(ish) gear causes much less stress on my knees than pushing a higher gear. My physio concurs and says that some hill work is also ok, but advised me not to stand up and push if possible.

I haven't started doing any technical off-road stuff yet, but I am worried about bashing my knees when I come off. Maybe some protectors to avoid knocks?
  • jibi
    jibi Posts: 857
    Patience
    I have had one kneecap removed and several ops on the other knee, Last arthroscopy about 3 months ago.
    so I repeat what Hiiro says , take it slow and easy, spin the gears., build up the strength in the legs to support the knees.

It will get better!! But be patient, if you try to rush it may just get worse
    george
  • teacherman
    teacherman Posts: 454
    Ouch! now i feel soft for complaining about a bit of pain in the joints and some floating cartilidge! thanks for the advice guys - did a 3 hour ride today that invoved some pretty long pulls - no adverse reactions yet beyond a bit of an ache - happy days. Take it easy and good luck with the recovery. 8)
    I hate it when people say David Beckham's stupid...its not like anyone ever says: 'Stephen Hawking - he's s**t at football.' Paul Calf