Cold aid for recovery

bahzob
bahzob Posts: 2,195
A while back I was told that following a hard ride, the bath afterwoods should be cold not hot. Theory being that this aids recovery.

Paula Radcliffe and others have been doing this for a while and for those wanting to go to the extreme there's a place in Poland where some athletes go, that gets down to -160C! and a similar (slightly warmer at a mere -140) place is opening here:

http://comment.independent.co.uk/columnists_a_l/alex_james/article2281964.ece

Dont think will try this but tried taking the cold bath option a few times and think it has an effect but not sure. Anybody tired similar and has experience good/bad?
Martin S. Newbury RC

Comments

• chrisw12
    chrisw12 Posts: 1,246
    I find this concept quite hilarious to be honest. The number of times I've come in absolutely freezing especially the feet, the last thing I want to do is go and have a cold bath.

My view if you're able to take more pain of an ice cold bath then you haven't trained hard enough. Real MEN train so hard that an ice cold bath would put them over the edge. :lol:
  • penugent
    penugent Posts: 913
    It works and the idea has been around for years. Back in my long distance running days, in the late 1980s, I used it very successfully. It reduces post exercise muscle damage (and the pain and stiffness that goes with it).

These days I go for the less extreme contrast bathing which involves spraying alternate hot:cold water for a few mins each, for a couple of goes each, at the end of a shower - it keeps the legs fresh.
  • AndyGates
    AndyGates Posts: 8,467
    Works for me. Cold showers after running take about a day off my recovery times. Less of an impact for riding. Not a load of bollocks at all, it's been traditional since the bleedin' romans. Only people who don't appreciate it are wusses and barbarians :)
    Wanted: Penny farthing. Please PM me!
    Advice for kilted riders: top-tubes are cold.
  • chrisw12
    chrisw12 Posts: 1,246
    AndyGates wrote:
    Works for me. Cold showers after running take about a day off my recovery times. Less of an impact for riding. Not a load of bollocks at all, it's been traditional since the bleedin' romans. Only people who don't appreciate it are wusses and barbarians :)

So you measured this scientificaly then :) Lets be fair if you go to the trouble/pain of this, then you are bound to come away saying it's the dog's .... especially if that view is re-enforced by other people.

That being said it probably does have an effect especially for runners with all the impacts, but I don't know if it's worth the pain for cycling.
  • chris,

i *think* there's some evidence to show that cold therapy make aid recovery, but i'll have to check,

ric
    Professional cycle coaching for cyclists of all levels
    www.cyclecoach.com
  • Tom Butcher
    Tom Butcher Posts: 3,830
    I used to use cold baths after long runs - I felt it made some difference to recovery but maybe it was just wishful thinking.

it's a hard life if you don't weaken.