Chain Care

CS91
CS91 Posts: 16
edited August 2007 in MTB beginners
I'm looking for a bit of advice, after a ride the other i checked the bike over and noticed a small amount of what looked like rust, presumabley from being put away whilst wet... Is there anything i can do to reduce or prevent this....?

Thanks
CS91... :P

Comments

• alfablue
    alfablue Posts: 8,497
    after a wet ride you could wipe the chain with a cloth and reapply lube, or for a quicker (lazier?) approach, spray the chain with GT85 (not WD40) at the end of a wet ride, and re-lube before next ride.

Also, what lube do you use? For wet weather conditions use a wet/winter lube - they are a bit messier but stay on longer, dry summer lubes can get washed off even during a single wet ride.
  • CS91
    I'm lube free :P ... I was hoping someone on here could reccomend any decent chain lubes...? I'm a complete novice with anything bike related, so i appologise for any stupid questions...
  • alfablue
    I currently use Prolink Progold and it is excellent.
  • CS91
    thank you...! how often should i lube my chain..?
  • alfablue
    I get away with weekly applications, but more often if I cycle in the wet.
  • beski
    beski Posts: 542
    Pedros Extra Dry is a good dry lube, Finish Line Wet good for...wetter conditions!
    Giant Defy 4 2014
    GT Avalanche Expert 2006
    Specialized Hardrock 1989
  • CS91
    I've got another simple question... how should i clean my bike after a mucky ride..? i had been hosing it of then wiping it dry with an old towel... is this ok..?

Thanks
    Charlie
  • alfablue
    Yes that's about it really - The easiest is to spray with Muc Off first and wait 30 seconds, then the mud hoses off really easily.

Otherwise use a hose under gentle pressure and use a washing up type brush to get mud out of the nooks and crannies.

Get some microfibre dishcloths (about 80p each from Tesco etc) and towel dry frame and other parts you can wipe easily.

Spray GT85 around shifters and mechs.

Wipe chain dry with a rag then relube.

Thats the way I do it anyhow.
  • CS91
    Thanks just wanted to make sure i wasnt going to damage it..!

CS91... :D
  • jayson
    jayson Posts: 4,606
    Aslong as u relube ur chain u really dont need to worry about a spot of surface rust, it will come off the next time u ride ur bike.

On the subject of lubes, for the dry summer (ha ha) weather i use Finish Line Dry (black bottle RED cap) and Finish Line Wet lube for everything else (black bottle GREEN cap). The wet lube will stay on for much longer but be aware it will attract gunk and shiznit like nothing else, it just means u have to clean ur chain and cassette atleast once a week.
  • nferrar
    nferrar Posts: 2,511
    I'd tend to only use GT85 as a "I've got no time/too lazy to give it a proper clean now but will do tomorrow" solution :p Just treat it as a water displacer rather than any form of lubricant so it's great for preventing rust if you leave a wet/muddy bike overnight but after you clean your bike properly you shouldn't need it, just use proper lube (and sparingly - you don't need lube running off the chain).