Phil & Friends Challenge!?

PhetPhan
PhetPhan Posts: 33
okay chaps,
i've done two 55mile rides this year, both in the last week both dead on 3&1/2 hours. but other than that its just a fast 5miler to college of a weekday.
so here is my question...
can i do the 150km phil and friends challenge or will i have to go 4 the girly 100k?
also, any vets out there with some tips?
thanks in advance
Nick
nicksniceblog.blogspot.com - be there or be square

Comments

• velocitizen
    velocitizen Posts: 327
    Phetphan

You should give the 150km a go and see how you feel when you are heading into Edale, stop for refreshments and decide if you want to go up Winnatts and do 50k more or whether you want to head back to Sheffield, I did thie 150 last year having done only 7 100km rides before it, my brother Mat 'Stelaking' did the 150 having done less preperation than that, and it was also raining during the morning...see you there.
    Richadr
    BeestonCC Sportive
    Sunday 24th June 2012
    Enjoy the finest cycling in the Peak District.
    47, 75 and 111 mile routes.
    http://www.beestonccsportive.co.uk/
  • PhetPhan
    PhetPhan Posts: 33
    cheers man.
    game on!!!
    nicksniceblog.blogspot.com - be there or be square
  • Mossrider
    Mossrider Posts: 226
    Winnatts is a killer but once you've conquered that then there is nothing too challenging after that (although you'll be feeling it by then). Did it on the winter hack last year and just took it easy (its much more a social event then many of the sportifs - cafe stops are de rigeur). That's the audax influence I guess.
  • Mossrider
    edited July 2007
    I commute from Huddersfield to Rochdale (mainly car but also by bike) and live in the South Huddersfield area (at least i used to regularly cycle until the arrival of mossrider jr a few days ago).

The route recommended is pretty good but one word of warning - the A635 is pretty fast and personally I tend to use the A640 although the A635 is more direct for me. The A640 is almost parallel (but out of sight of) the M62 and as such is VERY quiet (even in the rush hour). It offers as good a view as any in the region with a very steady climb to Bucksttones with an exhilerating descent into Lancashire (used to be part of Yorkshire but we'll not get in to that...) The hang a left at the bottom and follow through to the A62 for Marsden . The disadvantage is that you would have to find a lane over Pole Moor to connect to Marsden. There are plenty to choose from if you have a look on multimap (its quitte a climb but turn left in Slaithwaite signposted Outlane. This wiill be a bit shorter than the other route but well worth a look

You'll find a lot of local riders on the A640 (Buckstones) of an evening (except in winter when its just me on my way home...)
  • Mossrider
    I commute from Huddersfield to Rochdale (mainly car but also by bike) and live in the South Huddersfield area (at least i used to regularly cycle until the arrival of mossrider jr a few days ago).

The route recommended is pretty good but one word of warning - the A635 is pretty fast and personally I tend to use the A640 although the A635 is more direct for me. The A640 is almost parallel (but out of sight of) the M62 and as such is VERY quiet (even in the rush hour). It offers as good a view as any in the region with a very steady climb to Bucksttones with an exhilerating descent into Lancashire (used to be part of Yorkshire but we'll not get in to that...) The hang a left at the bottom and follow through to the A62 for Marsden . The disadvantage is that you would have to find a lane over Pole Moor to connect to Marsden. There are plenty to choose from if you have a look on multimap (its quitte a climb but turn left in Slaithwaite signposted Outlane. This wiill be a bit shorter than the other route but well worth a look

You'll find a lot of local riders on the A640 (Buckstones) of an evening (except in winter when its just me on my way home...)
  • stelaking
    stelaking Posts: 80
    give it a go my training ride was 25 miles max 2 times a week plus 2 bottles of red the nite before ,brother velocitizen a bit more prepared. JUST DO IT as nike wood say :D doing it this year still not prepared
    rideing more drinking less 2007 good year
  • grimmison
    grimmison Posts: 62
    I tagged onto the back of SheffRec CC last year and they pulled me around the entire 150km + knew the best cake stops en route.

It was miserable weather last year, quite depressing how early the start seems to be, and I almost gave up at Edale but once I'd got to the top of Winnats I found a second wind which saw me through the final 50km.

Still haven't decided wether to give it a go or not this year.