any racing guys trained in italyalps reccomend routes/hotel

oldwelshman
oldwelshman Posts: 4,733
edited July 2007 in Pro race
Hi.
Next July I am going back to do the Gran Fondo Pinarello and want to spend about 10 days prior to this riding in the alps, dolomites training and tour riding, maybe in Lake Como or Garda area.
I have seen sites advertising tours in excess of $3k so looking to do it myself probably drive over and stop in local hotels/guest houses before going to Treviso on the Friday.
If anyone has done this and can advise good routes ( scenic as well as hard) and can reccomend accomodation it owuld be greatly appreciated.
I am going to put this post in rides, training and race so hope to get some feedback :D

Comments

• ricadus
    ricadus Posts: 2,379
    In the heart of the Dolomites:

http://www.albergopordoi.it/uk/ambient_uk.asp

Arabba is a good base for several day's rides in the Dolomites: local climbs are the Pordoi, Selle, Gardena, Campolongo, Giau, Fedaia/Marmolada, Falzarego.

Within reach by bike to the east, just past Cortina d’Ampezzo, is the Tre Cime di Lavaredo climb that was in this year's Giro, or south there are the passo Duran and passo San Pellegrino and, a bit further west, Alpe di Pampeago (this last would be a long out-and-back ride from Arabba though).
  • oldwelshman
    oldwelshman Posts: 4,733
    This looks interesting , cheers.
    The hotel rates also look very reasonable.
  • knedlicky
    knedlicky Posts: 3,097
    I’ve ridden a route ending east of the northernmost point of the Gran Fondo Pinarello route, so Pordenone-Aviano-Piancavallo-Aviano-Maniago-Barcis-Passo di San Osvaldo-Longarone.
    The roads are quiet except the first stretch to Aviano. Piancavallo is a long hard climb (over 1100 m in 17 km), I just used to test myself and for the view from the top. Barcis and its lake and the surrounding mountains are very pretty and the gorge east of Longarone down from the P. di San Osvaldo is quite impressive.
    Pordonone is a typical busy Italian town with several cheap good hotels..

I’ve also ridden from Tovena over the little Passo di San Boldo (part of the GF route, a few ‘nice’ hairpins on south side) then nothwards to Agordo, then from there a circle of about 80 km to the NE (Passo Duran- Passo Staulanza-Selva di Cadore-Agordo). By Agordo you are really into the southern Dolomites and the wonderful landscape. Away from the main N-S road through Agordo, which itself isn’t that bad, the roads are quiet.
    I can’t remember the name of the hotel I stayed in at Agordo but I was outside the pleasant village centre, to the south, and I wouldn’t choose there again!

A third short route I’ve ridden in the vicinity is further NW: Falcade-Passo di San Pelligrino (up to 18%)-Moena-Predazzo-Passo di Valles-Falcade. The Moena-Predazzo bit isn’t so exciting but elsewhere is good and quiet.
    From Falcade (where I stayed) you can also do a route with 3 passes around the massive called the Pale di San Martino, going by Agordo, or vice versa if you’re based at Agordo - the two towns are like at opposite corners of a rectangle. There’s good hiking inside the Pale di San Martino too.

Lake Garda tends to be more an area for off-road mountain-bikers I think, especially the hills behind the lake at its northern half.
    Around the town of Como can be exceptionally busy, although you find quieter roads in the hills above the lake or at its northern half. If you want to ride down by a lakeside, I think the roads around the lakes Maggiore and Lugano are quieter. The southern end of Lake Lugano seems popular with cyclists and if I were wanting to find a hotel as base in that area, that would be where I’d look, including the Swiss side.
  • bigdawg
    bigdawg Posts: 672
    If Ras isnt too busy Im sure he'll show you some routes, Ive heard he knows the area quite well... :lol:
    dont knock on death\'s door.....

Ring the bell and leg it...that really pi**es him off....
  • Gran E. Gear
    Gran E. Gear Posts: 423
    Just returned from a week with Kent and Michelle here:

www.belvederebedandbreakfast.com

Climbs to Sestriere (twice), Finestra, Galibier, Izoard ...

Great food, sensible transport options to cut out dead miles, ridiculously cheap pizza, wonderful weather ...

Incredible price ...

Transfers to and from Turin airport ...

Give them a shout.
  • knedlicky
    knedlicky Posts: 3,097
    knedlicky wrote:
    A third short route I’ve ridden in the vicinity is further NW: Falcade-Passo di San Pelligrino (up to 18%)-Moena-Predazzo-Passo di Valles-Falcade. The Moena-Predazzo bit isn’t so exciting but elsewhere is good and quiet..
    Sorry to quote myself but I thought I'd mention that Predazzo is where Cassani sighted Rasmussen.
    (I don't know where the Gerolsteiner rider sighted Rasmussen).