Shimano or sram

jonno789
jonno789 Posts: 46
edited July 2007 in XC and Enduro
Looking to upgrade my derailleurs and shifters, but not shaw which are the better ones. I am looking at the sram x.9 but i know that shimano xt are the pretty much the best. (except XTR)

Do i go with shinano cause it's the norm or are sram better. :D

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    well what type of shifting do you want?

and are you looking at the 07 stuff or the 08?
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • jonno789
    looking for 08 stuff really, as it will all be out soon. Just really want to know if sram where as good :D
  • nicklouse
    personally sram is better.

X0-XTR-X9-XT-X7-LX..........

but that is just my opinion and i have no idea about the new stuff.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
  • ddoogie
    ddoogie Posts: 4,159
    Its difficult to class them against each other when they feel so different to use. The X0 gives just as good a results as the XTR stuff IMO.

I'm a Shimano man myself. I use X9 on one bike and XT on the other and the feel of the Shimano is much more to my liking. I'd definately recommend trying a SRAM set up out first.
    S-works Stumpjumper FSR

I'll see you at the end.

You'll see me on the floor.
  • Scubar
    Scubar Posts: 453
    Im definately more of a shimano person, the sram rear mechs are great although very clunky which is why i prefer shimano, the rest of their stuff is rubbish imo, shimano front mechs are far better aswell as their shifters, much smoother and nicer look to them, i dont like using my thumb for up and down shifting either feels awkard..

My Marin Hawkhill 2007 - http://www.pinkbike.com/photo/1382583/
  • ddoogie
    Dual control rules!
    S-works Stumpjumper FSR

I'll see you at the end.

• nicklouse
    ddoogie wrote:
    Dual control rules!

sucks.

well it depends on the useage. gravity assisted and air orientated biking do not get on with dual control. XC yes.
  • Scubar
    Scubar Posts: 453
    ID have to agree with nick, I despise those dual controls couldnt get on with them at all, id rather have the sram shifters and normal levers than those.

My Marin Hawkhill 2007 - http://www.pinkbike.com/photo/1382583/
  • sram is easier to set up. If the shifter's pulling too much tension, then it's pulling the same amount too much across the whole cassette, and you only have to make one adjustment - rather than keep fiddling with the combination of two different adjusters until it's correct on every sprocket like you do on shimano.
  • nicklouse
    sram is easier to set up. If the shifter's pulling too much tension, then it's pulling the same amount too much across the whole cassette, and you only have to make one adjustment - rather than keep fiddling with the combination of two different adjusters until it's correct on every sprocket like you do on shimano.

Err you what. it is no difference.

the cog spacing is the same on both, the distance the mech moves is the same. setting up on both is the same (non rapid rise). Sram just shifts more cable.
  • ddoogie
    nicklouse wrote:

sucks.

well it depends on the useage. gravity assisted and air orientated biking do not get on with dual control. XC yes.

That's fair enough. Its the thumb levers I hate on the rapid rise style shifters. On cold days it can be very difficult to use them, especially if you have to wear thick gloves.
    S-works Stumpjumper FSR

I'll see you at the end.

• jonno789
    Thanks for the views, I am going to my lbs tomorrow to see if they will let me try both set up's.

I am looking towards the sram set up as they seem to get good reviews and it's abit different to the norm :D

I'll let you know what I end up getting and how they feel and work
  • nicklouse wrote:
    sram is easier to set up. If the shifter's pulling too much tension, then it's pulling the same amount too much across the whole cassette, and you only have to make one adjustment - rather than keep fiddling with the combination of two different adjusters until it's correct on every sprocket like you do on shimano.

Err you what. it is no difference.

the cog spacing is the same on both, the distance the mech moves is the same. setting up on both is the same (non rapid rise). Sram just shifts more cable.
    yeah but on sram there is only one adjustment (on the shifter).
    on shimano there is two adjustments, one on the mech one on the shifter. is there not?
  • ddoogie
    It doesn't matter that the Shimano systems have two barrel adjusters. You can just wind one all the way in and use it exactly the same as the SRAM systems.
    S-works Stumpjumper FSR

I'll see you at the end.

• ddoogie wrote:
    It doesn't matter that the Shimano systems have two barrel adjusters. You can just wind one all the way in and use it exactly the same as the SRAM systems.
    hmmm.. see what you're saying. still think it's a bit confusing.