Which is safer?

Oleg177
Oleg177 Posts: 9
edited July 2007 in Commuting chat
So I mentioned to my boss today that I'm going to start cycling to work, his immediate response was "Isn't it a bit dangerous?".

Surely somebody must know on here which is statistically safer? Commuting by car or bike? I work in aviation and it is always quoted how safe flying is compared to driving so I guess somebody must have done a study at somepoint.

It's not going to change my mind, it would just be nice to be armed with a come back.

Comments

• cupofteacp
    cupofteacp Posts: 578
    Right

If you look at just the travel aspect then car travel is safer

You are 4 times as likely to die if you cyle
    You are 10 times as likely to die if you walk than drive.

However when you then put in the health benifits against sitting in a car, cycling will infact give you a great life expectancy.

Okay if anyone has anymore up to date info please let us know
    15 * 2 * 5
    * 46 = Happiness
  • Porgy
    Porgy Posts: 4,525
    I always reply with "not if you know what you're doing."

I'm guessing that experienced cyclists are safer. If you're an experienced cyclist then tell him its not dangerous for you.

Anyway I'm sure your boss takes risks - does he drink or smoke? Climb mountains? Drive a fast car? etc.
  • Hairy Jock
    Hairy Jock Posts: 558
    I have been cycling for more year then I care to remember and never been seriously injured, that includes regularly commuting to work for the last 13 years. No it is no more dangerous than getting out of bed in the morning. Try telling your boss if he really wants you to be safe he should let you stay in bed all day... :lol:
    Best advice I ever got was "better get a bike then"
    Cycle commuting since 1994. Blog with cycle bits.
    Also with the old C+ crowd at Cycle Chat.
  • BentMikey
    BentMikey Posts: 4,895
    I guess it's not as safe as driving from the stats, but they don't take into account the benefits of cycling, which supposedly outweigh the risks 20-1. As a regular cyclist, you should have the fitness of someone 10 years younger, and live 2 years longer than the average.
  • palinurus
    palinurus Posts: 836
    The link probably won't work, first time i've tried on here...

http://www.networks.nhs.uk/uploads/06/09/wardlaw.pdf
  • palinurus
    Ooh! smooooth..
  • palinurus
    It works out safer than driving if you include the risk to third parties. You aren't as likely to injure or kill anyone riding a bike, directly or indirectly.
  • AndyGates
    AndyGates Posts: 8,467
    Who needs statistics? Just call your boss a big girl's blouse then seduce the secretaries with your magnificent thighs and awesome war-wounds. 8)
    Wanted: Penny farthing. Please PM me!
    Advice for kilted riders: top-tubes are cold.
  • Hairy Jock
    Hairy Jock Posts: 558
    Palinurus wrote:
    The link probably won't work, first time i've tried on here...

http://www.networks.nhs.uk/uploads/06/09/wardlaw.pdf

Thanks, that is really useful.

I particularly like the statement that "The belief that British cyclists face high actual risks is not sustained by the evidence; the actual risks are very low in everyday terms."
    Best advice I ever got was "better get a bike then"
    Cycle commuting since 1994. Blog with cycle bits.
    Also with the old C+ crowd at Cycle Chat.