Varicose Vein - caused by cycling

ukcraigb
ukcraigb Posts: 113
I have a question (would be greatful if Dr Death could give some input to this!), I seem to have develpoed a varicose vein on the back of my right knee.

I doesnt hurt and its not paticully large and Im not really bothered by it, but could it be caused by cycling? Never had one before...

If it is caused by cycling is there anything I can do to prevent getting more?

Cheers, Craig.

Comments

• My mum claimed i had varicose veins the other day, but i'm pretty sure it's just down to your blood supply in the area improving, and the veins becoming more prominent due to less fat %, much the same as weight lifting gives people prominent veins on their arms for instance I would imagine.
    "A cyclist has nothing to lose but his chain"

PTP Runner Up 2015
  • AndyGates
    AndyGates Posts: 8,467
    Prominent veins are not varicose veins.
    Wanted: Penny farthing. Please PM me!
    Advice for kilted riders: top-tubes are cold.
  • Dr_Death
    Dr_Death Posts: 1,262
    ukcraigb wrote:
    I have a question (would be greatful if Dr Death could give some input to this!), I seem to have develpoed a varicose vein on the back of my right knee.

I doesnt hurt and its not paticully large and Im not really bothered by it, but could it be caused by cycling? Never had one before...

If it is caused by cycling is there anything I can do to prevent getting more?

Cheers, Craig.

What makes you think it is a varicous vein?? Very difficult to diagnose without seeing it.....

Can't find anything that says cycling is a causative factor but you never know. It is usually said to be prolonged standing that does it (and a genetic predisposition and being a woman).

Steve
    Steve

Trust me, I'm a doctor!

http://www.vimeo.com/DrDeath
  • ukcraigb
    ukcraigb Posts: 113
    Basicly its a lumpy dark coloured wein that never used to be there, I'll try and take a pic tonight!

I'm sure you all want to see it :wink:
  • AndyGates
    AndyGates Posts: 8,467
    Yay! Share the grue!
    Wanted: Penny farthing. Please PM me!
    Advice for kilted riders: top-tubes are cold.
  • owen_MTB
    owen_MTB Posts: 222
    i have got them over my hands, dont know if they're the same but just veins that run over my hand, i dont have them any where else except my forearms when weight lifting
    It is a rough road that leads to the heights of greatness
  • jjojjas
    jjojjas Posts: 346
    If its any help, I have a few fairly obvious varicose veins from years of standing in operating theaters, and possibly "inherited" from my parents who both have them. Mine actually improve with cycling. If I stop communing it takes about a week then I notice they throb a little when I stand a while. When I commute every day, they don't throb.
    Its a clear change, so I'd suspect that exercising the legs possibly reduces the problem.
    Jas
    it looks a bit steep to me.....