New commuter

dangreen
dangreen Posts: 12
edited July 2007 in Commuting chat
Hi all,

just introducing myself!

Planning to start commuting very soon from Loughton to Holborn which is about 15 miles. Picked up 2006 Genesis Day 02 last night found a second hand one for £350. 10 months old receipts provided and it's also been serviced twice. So not too bad a deal really!

Going to test out my route on Sunday and see how it all goes! Anyone got any tips? I have picked up quite a lot just browsing the forums so it's all looking good!

Dan.

Comments

• domtyler
    domtyler Posts: 2,648
    edited March 2011
    Nice one Dan, what route are you going to be taking?
    ________
    SMOKE WEED EVERY DAY
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Porridge not Petrol
  • Atz
    Atz Posts: 1,383
    I've done my first "real" commute today as well. I'm not on a road bike or hybrid but I managed to maintain a pace that took me to the office only 5 minutes later than the same car journey.

Once my fitness levels are up I'll switch to slicks but for the moment, the extra work can't hurt ;)
  • Teuchter
    Teuchter Posts: 102
    Nice one - Keep at it!

This is my 2 week anniversary of starting cycle commuting. 8 miles each way but now as I'm finally starting to feel slighty fitter, I'm investigating longer, more scenic routes. So far I have found different routes to bump my each-way miles up to 9, 10 or 11 miles depending on the wind direction, how much time I have and how many pints I had the night before! They also allow me to take in cycle tracks instead of main roads and some nice parkland or riverside scenery (well, as nice as you get on the banks of the Clyde!)
  • The BIG GT
    The BIG GT Posts: 655
    Atz,
    If you are on an MTB and you want the extra work for the fitness, you could try what I do when the light holds (summer), if you are not in the centre of a big city.

I can get in on the road in about 7 miles but have found a longer, 80% off-road route using bridleways, canal towpaths, country lanes and country parks which adds 2-3 miles and the terrain makes it more enjoyable and a harder workout!
    Now living happily at http://www.uk-mtb.com !!
  • dangreen
    dangreen Posts: 12
    Hi Domtyler

http://www.bikely.com/maps/bike-path/Debden-Loughton-Holborn

That's the route I have mapped out but I bet I have made the mistake of trying to go for the most direct route?! I'm sure there is probably a better way to go!!
  • Hairy Jock
    Hairy Jock Posts: 558
    Atz wrote:
    Once my fitness levels are up I'll switch to slicks but for the moment, the extra work can't hurt ;)

Nah, just go strait to slicks, no point in working harder than you have to :D
    Best advice I ever got was "better get a bike then"
    Cycle commuting since 1994. Blog with cycle bits.
    Also with the old C+ crowd at Cycle Chat.
  • Dan, welcome to the Club.

Been commuting through London for nearly 17 years now.

1) Wear a bright, preferably yellow, top.

2) Ride "assertively". i.e. in primary position when neccessary, look drivers in the eye, shout at them if they start to move in a way a that is a threat to you (and wave and smile after you have done it!) etc etc and remember every car driver is probably a SMIDSY (Sorry Mate I Didn't See You)

3)Get the Cyclecraft book (oh, and read it :) )

3) Good lights are essential for night riding. I ride with two on front and back.

In all my years i have only had one knock and that was because i was drafting behind a taxi too fast down a hill :oops:

Enjoy...
    17 years commuting up and down the King\'s Road and i still don\'t get faster...
  • Atz
    Atz Posts: 1,383
    The BIG GT wrote:
    Atz,
    If you are on an MTB and you want the extra work for the fitness, you could try what I do when the light holds (summer), if you are not in the centre of a big city.

I can get in on the road in about 7 miles but have found a longer, 80% off-road route using bridleways, canal towpaths, country lanes and country parks which adds 2-3 miles and the terrain makes it more enjoyable and a harder workout!

I get a mile or so in a park and if I cut a bit out of my way I can take in another 3-4 miles along the grand union canal. Alledgedly it's a shorter ride despite the strange direction change but I'm not convinced. It's definitely worth the detour though.
    Hairy Jock wrote:
    Nah, just go strait to slicks, no point in working harder than you have to :D

An hour after my ride I might have agreed with you... at least I'm on summer weight knobblies.
  • adifiddler
    adifiddler Posts: 113
    Fit slick tires they make all the difference, i haven't used aggressive treads for years now and i can still ride 90% of the off road tracks that i used to ride, the 10% of tracks i can still ride in dry conditions its just in the wet when they become a problem.

Slicks are on the whole more puncture resistant too. Aggressive treads have less tire between the treads making them vulnerable to larger bits of glass, long thorns and road rubbish. I thing the tire compounds are softer too.
    No 1 fan in the jonesy124 Fan Club