Simple VO2 max step test

TechnoBuddhist
TechnoBuddhist Posts: 108
Has anybody had a proper VO2 max test that confirm how good this simple VO2 max test is?

I've just done it using a wooden chair which is a few cm taller and got a 60.9 ml/kg/min rating, which using the VO2 Max tables at any age puts me in the Superior category!! Which surprises me!

Comments

• ajohn9
    ajohn9 Posts: 260
    mines 72.69 :)
  • is that using the step test yes? respect. Did you have any idea what is was prior to the test?
  • adh038
    adh038 Posts: 67
    This is not a valid or reliable test of VO2max unfortunately.
  • Pourquoi? There's probably a margin of error, say +-15%
  • Has anybody had a proper VO2 max test that confirm how good this simple VO2 max test is?

I've just done it using a wooden chair which is a few cm taller and got a 60.9 ml/kg/min rating, which using the VO2 Max tables at any age puts me in the Superior category!! Which surprises me!

It isn't going to be remotely accurate, plus, VO2max is exercise modality specific. For e.g., trained cyclists can score 100 - 105% of inclined running VO2max.

If you want to know your cycling VO2max, then you'll need to have it tested properly, although other than bragging or curiousity, i'm not certain why you'd need to know your VO2max unless you're in exercise physiology. On the other hand, knowing your maximal aerobic power (MAP) score, is a very useful indicator of performance, see http://www.cyclingnews.com/fitness/?id=powerstern

Ric
    Professional cycle coaching for cyclists of all levels
    www.cyclecoach.com
  • Interesting article, thanks! I was thinking about looking at power training after my current training period ends. I should have a good endurance base in 4 weeks and be ready to start a new small training plan. At the end of my recovery week I'll find out what my MAP is.

My average power output has increased by 30 watts over the past 4 1/2 weeks(at the same 70% HR) and my tempo rides are up to 235 watts for upto 30 mins.
  • to be honest, i wouldn't look at HR if you have power output. in my opinion it rates just above worthless (if you have power)

ric
    Professional cycle coaching for cyclists of all levels
    www.cyclecoach.com
  • If I start to compete next year I'll need to monitor my HR. I don't have a mobile power meter so can only use HR and 'feel'. Tracking my HR with power will allow me to track my exertion and pace myself.

Unless power meters come down in price considerably.