traininng rides next week in Perranporth or Newquay Cornwall

oldwelshman
oldwelshman Posts: 4,733
I am on holidays next week in Perranporth so anyone fancy showing me some hills and training in mornings next week?

Comments

• ajohn9
    ajohn9 Posts: 260
    im in the same position, im in newquay next week and need to get in some miles before some hill climbs!
  • oldwelshman
  • noggincp
    noggincp Posts: 1,881
    I am on holidays next week in Perranporth so anyone fancy showing me some hills and training in mornings next week?

Hi

I stayed just outside Perranporth 2 weeks ago

There are NO flat quiet roads anywhere!!! :wink:

Lotsa quiet roads lotsa hilly hills

enjoy :D
    <font>"Tongue sandwiches? Bleah! Eat what? But it\'s been in somebody else\'s mouth"</font>
  • Ben_H
    Ben_H Posts: 10

If you can stretch as far as the far west peninsula - there is an absolutely fantastic ride round the whole peninsula - from St Ives - Zennor - St Just - Sennen - Treen - Lamorna - Mousehole - Penzance - and back to St Ives.

Its a great loop - plenty of hills - plenty of great views - wonderful ride ! :D

Ben

ps. will take a couple of hours
  • ajohn9
    ajohn9 Posts: 260
    awww, i cant take my bike according to BMI baby :(
  • oldwelshman
    Ben_H wrote:

If you can stretch as far as the far west peninsula - there is an absolutely fantastic ride round the whole peninsula - from St Ives - Zennor - St Just - Sennen - Treen - Lamorna - Mousehole - Penzance - and back to St Ives.

Its a great loop - plenty of hills - plenty of great views - wonderful ride ! :D

Ben

I will do this route one morning early. It looks about 75 miles so will do it on a dry day and get some pics and post them on my site.
    Any route you can suggest with good long climbs? Within 30 miles of perranporth as I will have to to ride from Perranporth as Mrs wil have the car.

John, why can't yo take bike?
  • ColinJ
    ColinJ Posts: 2,218
    Ben_H wrote:

Ben

Seconded. I took my bike down to Cornwall about 15 years ago and did that very loop, except that I did it clockwise instead - lovely!

I agree about the hills though. I'm used to hills in West Yorkshire but Cornwall was something else... I'd see the road I wanted to get to about 100 metres away but getting to it might involve a 20% descent, 50 metres round a stretch of beach then a 20% climb up the other side!

I happened to be in Cornwall during a very windy spell so I spent half my time grovelling at about 10 kph and the rest of the time doing about 50 kph.

My other observation was how changeable the weather was. I set off from Penzance one day in brilliant sunshine, hit thick fog at Lands End, had rain at St. Ives and sunshine again back at Penzance. While I'd been out, Penzance had been hit by some sort of mini tornado and cafes' tables and chairs had blown about all over the place.
  • oldwelshman
    Well I am only taking 53/39 12/23 so will have to work a bit I guess :-)
    Does anyone know of a clubrun I could join on sunday ?