Beginners Rides South Manchester

Cornbeef
Cornbeef Posts: 8
I have just bought my first road bike having owned and commuted on an MTB for some time, and would welcome any routes around South Manchester. I dont know how far I should go at first so I am open to any suggestions. Thanks in advance.

Comments

• monnet
    monnet Posts: 49
    You don't say where in South Manc but I used to ride out from Chorlton through Stretford and Urmston. Then take a left to Carrington. Cycle down the main road to Partington and at the mini roundabout go left. Follow through that road through the estate and out onto the wiggly windy country road. You'll come to a cross roads, turn left and you'll end up at Dunham Massey. From there you can go left and out to Hale and beyond (chose your distance basically, I used to go out as far as Macclesfield) or go right and you'll come back out on the Partington- Carrington main road and head back to the city the way you left which ends up as 37km. My advice would be to get the Manchester OS map to help you route plan and maybe the MAcclesfield map too.
  • NFMC
    NFMC Posts: 232
    There's also the Fallowfield Loopline which is accessed (funnilly enough) from Fallowfield and Chorlton.

The Bicycle Doctor in Rusholme often does rides on Sunday mornings.
  • Cornbeef
    Sorry, I live near to Manchester Airport. Thanks for the suggestions though!
  • AidanG
    AidanG Posts: 104
    monnet wrote:
    You don't say where in South Manc but I used to ride out from Chorlton through Stretford and Urmston. Then take a left to Carrington. Cycle down the main road to Partington and at the mini roundabout go left. Follow through that road through the estate and out onto the wiggly windy country road. You'll come to a cross roads, turn left and you'll end up at Dunham Massey.

Is that a quiet route from Chorlton?
  • Cornbeef
    Yes its not too far and there are quiter routes available.
  • Leesy
    Leesy Posts: 95
    I live in Hazel Grove which isn't too far from you. A good ride I like is to go Hazel Grove - Alderley Edge, then head up the hill out of Alderley edge towards Congleton, up to the crossroads and turn right onto Chelford road. Keep on there up to Chelford roundabout and then back to Alderley Edge. A nice pleasant flat ride suitable for a beginner. You could easily get to Alderley edge from where you are I guess.