avoiding hot foot / spd compatible shoes

duplicate12
duplicate12 Posts: 10
edited July 2007 in Workshop
I have some basic shimano spds and swapped for egg beaters, in both cases get hot foot after about 20 miles,with 10 year old pair of axo shoes. Now thinking of trying different shoes, but not road specific as like to be able to walk around and need spd compatability.

Any recommendations

Comments

• Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Go for a MTB race shoe - these are often the same as the road shoe, with a rubber outsole glued one. Many now have carbon midsoles, so prevent the distortion a pressure point of the small cleat. Downside of the stiffer sole is that they're not quite so flexy for walking around in.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • maddog 2
    maddog 2 Posts: 8,114
    ^^ what he said

check out the carbon-soled shoes. I've used Shimano and Spesh without any hot-spot issues. Current shoes are Spesh Carbon Pros and they're superb.
    Facts are meaningless, you can use facts to prove anything that's remotely true! - Homer
  • Greenbank
    Greenbank Posts: 731
    I got hotfoot with both single-sided and double-sided SPDs and Adidas Minrett Touring shoes. Usually after 80km or so but by 100km it was pretty damn painful.

Same bike, same pedals, same setup but now with Spesh Carbon Pro MTB shoes (expensive but worth it in my opinion) and I did 320km on Sunday without even a hint of pain in the feet. Easy to walk in the MTB versions of the shoes too.
    --
    If I had a baby elephant signature, I\'d use that.