which hand jesture?

alfunk
alfunk Posts: 12
edited July 2007 in Commuting chat
I just wondered if anyone has a particular hand jesture which they give when a car, van, lorry or more commonly a bus comes too close for comfort..

I think in 60 miles of commuting this week I have flipped the bird 7 times and only once told a car driver that they masturbate!

Whats ur favorite and has it ever got you into trouble??

Comments

• whyamihere
    whyamihere Posts: 7,700
    Middle finger most often, w*nker sign for the worst people/repeat offenders.
  • BentMikey
    BentMikey Posts: 4,895
    Better not to do or say anything rude, IMO. That usually reflects more upon yourself than on the driver who offended you.

I usually let out a loud Oi and make a pushing to the right gesture to indicate they didn't leave enough room and need to move over more.
  • joebe
    joebe Posts: 333
    a slap on the bus/car (not lorries though) with the flat of the hand if they're that close usually has the desired effect, though be careful as I did this to a nobby Volvo earlier in the week and it really hurt - what's more he didn't even notice.
    pink is the new black
    Doris hanging out by the river
  • georgee
    georgee Posts: 537
    I gave it the bird and the w*nker motion the other night to some tw*t in a van, I think it all got lost in the motion and I cycled away wishing I'd just used the hammer I randomly had in my bag to put a handy little dent in his windscreen.
  • ChrisLS
    ChrisLS Posts: 2,749
    ...best to not react...a find a good mutter under the breathe is best...
    ...all the way...'til the wheels fall off and burn...
  • Eat My Dust
    Eat My Dust Posts: 3,965
    I've tried everything, but even a shake of the head can make people erupt!!
  • jedster
    jedster Posts: 1,717
    wot mikey said

I do use the "sad and disappointed" head shake when people do silly things in front of me
  • Gussio
    Gussio Posts: 2,452

Few weeks back on the King's Road a RLJ cut in front of a landscape gardener's van causing it to sweve towards the kerb and force me to do an emergency stop. No real drama and I shook my head at the RLJ as he sped off into the distance. Next thing I know is the passenger in the van leaning out of the window and trying to take a swipe at me, shouting "don't shake your f*****g head at me you f*****g c**t!" This was at around 0730. What a charming way to start the day :(
  • Hairy Jock
    Hairy Jock Posts: 558

It is surprising just how upset some drivers can get if you just shake you head, I think it is because deep down they know they are in the wrong but can't admit it as that makes you their equal. Sad bastards. :evil:
    Best advice I ever got was "better get a bike then"
    Cycle commuting since 1994. Blog with cycle bits.
    Also with the old C+ crowd at Cycle Chat.
  • I think violence is a British cultural thing. I've just spent a most enjoyable week in Cyprus, with the wife and kids, and everyone drives like looneys, and use their horns much more than we do. They just seem to accept it though, and no-one seems to get too wound up about it.

"on your bike" Norman Tebbit.