First 25 mile training ride (respectable - please say yes!)

julesmac
julesmac Posts: 5
Hi there

New to the forum and new to road riding as I've been riding for about a month. I did my first 25 miles (round Regents Park in London so about as flat as it gets) this evening and managed it in exactly 1.15 which is an average speed of 20 miles an hour. Is that respectable? I'm only asking as I'm thinking of joining a club in Bristol where I live and want to leave it until I'm not going to hold people back or make a fool of myself! Putting it another way, how quickly would an average group from a club go round?

Thanks in advance

Comments

• blackhands
    blackhands Posts: 950
    Thats a reasonable speed and about the same speed that a slower club group might go roaund. Don't be too hung up on whether or not you are "good enough" - any club and members worth their salt should accept you as someone just starting out and give you loads of advice and help.
  • redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    julesmac wrote:
    Hi there

New to the forum and new to road riding as I've been riding for about a month. I did my first 25 miles (round Regents Park in London so about as flat as it gets) this evening and managed it in exactly 1.15 which is an average speed of 20 miles an hour. Is that respectable? I'm only asking as I'm thinking of joining a club in Bristol where I live and want to leave it until I'm not going to hold people back or make a fool of myself! Putting it another way, how quickly would an average group from a club go round?

Thanks in advance

That's not too bad, I struggle to do more than 12 miles in an hour, but that might be more to do with the hills and the traffic that I'm still paranoid about.

An average of 20mph isn't bad, I've got two friends who compete for my uni and their training rides average about 20mph (but I think they do like 5 or 6 hours straight most of the time).
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • jonny8055
    jonny8055 Posts: 3
    I don't know the answer, but I'm also about to begin road biking in Bristol. A keen mountainbiker tired of mud I was wondering about whether/when I'd be ready to join a group. I'd be interested to know when you find a welcoming group, or very happy to join you on a ride when my new pride and joy is built in a week's time.
  • julesmac
    Hi Jonny

I met someone who is part of the Bristol Cycling Development Squad and he really recommended it - mainly for youth riders but they have a steady influx of beginners as well. I plan to give that one a try. Would definitely be happy to meet up and have a ride once the pride and joy is ready - what bike is it?

Also used to mountain bike and also got tired of mud!
  • jonny8055
    jonny8055 Posts: 3
    At the risk of being accused of being a pimpy 'all the gear, no idea' rider, I'll own up to having a Planet-X Carbon Superlight on order, despite the only previous bike I had with drops being a no-brakes singlespeed I assembled one afternoon (made from 2 broken bikes) bunking off school so that I could go and ride on a frozen pond with my mates.

It should look good with a late thirties 15st lardbucket in MTB shoes on it.
  • julesmac
    Sounds great. Don't worry, late 30s out of shape and mountain bike shoes also, with new bike that's far too good for me! Let me know when the super-bike is built up.