Stronglight production quality?

bigflangesmallsprocket
bigflangesmallsprocket Posts: 2,443
edited September 2007 in Road general
I've received a second Stronglight 1000 track crankset (from Ribble) after returning the first due to fairly rubbish cosmetic finish quality, and the new ones no better, same lack of polishing quality and the finish on a couple of areas suggesting no polishing at all. Before I moan to Ribble and ask for ANOTHER crankset, am I wasting my time..are all Stronglights track cranks like this or did they just get a rubbish batch (wondering that as these £65 cranks are going for £50 at the moment)? I bought an Impact a while ago, and though not suited to me the finish was quite good.

Jam butties, officially endorsed by the Diddymen Olympic Squad

Comments

• GaryGkn
    GaryGkn Posts: 1,199
    I bought one not from Ribble. It was more than £67 it had a nick on the drive side. I couldn't be bothered to send it back. It was brand new and sealed. Sometimes shops are better at least you can see what you are buying.
  • Would that be Hubjub? Theyre not cheap, I think theyre a small operation, but they do seem to have genuine enthusiasm for their products.

I think I'll be keeping my cranks too, a little fine emery cloth will probably iron out the kinks, though I shouldn't really need to do any of that kind of fettling.

• GaryGkn
    Yes but I knew that HubJub would have exchanged it. They were fast at dispatch and really helpful. If HubJub stock it I would alays buy the component from them they have good prices and hard to get items. They have always been very good. I had a feeling that essentially the product was fine and not worth the hassle so I just accepted it and got on with it. It was just a small imperfection. I will be getting my next stem and bars from HubJub and also if I need a new crank ever I will probably gor the Sugino 75 from HubJub. Can't fault them. Good friendly service. I have recommended them.
  • GaryGkn
    It was £67 originally I was typing in £50 and got interupted.

HubJub have been the best online store I have dealt with.
    GB were good with their mail order service i bought a compat 10 speed Centaur Crank and BB for £52 with free postage.
  • star_rover
    star_rover Posts: 318
    I bought this crankset from an LBS and wouldn't say that it was in pristine condition. In fact I thought that they'd sold me a used one. Should've taken it back I suppose but couldn't face dealing with them again. Not like it was going to stay nice and shiny after a few days riding . . .
  • GaryGkn
    My thoughts exactly.
  • Just thought I'd post a follow up. Ive now been using my Stronglight for a few weeks, and though I did notice the shorter cranks at first (I know some dont), and wider q factor than my old Campy Gran Sport, I soon got used to it and am pretty happy with the item. Its not as round as I'd have liked, but using a ss freewheel its fine.