First Time to ride in Wales Tommorow!

tagmnbagm
tagmnbagm Posts: 111
edited July 2007 in XC and Enduro
HI,

I've been riding for about 6months now. I normally ride in Sutton Park, or Cannock chase. I average about 40 miles /week off road, and believe my fitness to be fairly good.
My question is I am about to embark into unknown territory tomorrow, with a trip to Wales, with a bunch of much more experienced,(and better equipped!) MTB'ers. Now do I go all out and try to follow there lead, and possibly do myself harm, or do I go at my own pace and risk getting lost??

Any preparation advice would also be grateful.

Thanks. :lol:
Yesterday is History, Tomorrow is a Mystery, Today is a Gift. That is why it is known as the present.

Comments

• hamboman
    hamboman Posts: 512
    go for it man! Just follow behind and let them pick the line for you. you'll improve loads really quickly and find you just do keep up.
  • tagmnbagm
    Sounds fair, nice one!I'll let you know how I go! One thing I can tell you now though, I'm gonna get wet!!! :?
    Yesterday is History, Tomorrow is a Mystery, Today is a Gift. That is why it is known as the present.
  • naz-t
    naz-t Posts: 313
    loads of floading here today mate bring ya snorkle lol, where u riding?
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v341/ ... 1177606388

If your not on the edge.. your taking up too much room!
  • tagmnbagm
    Hello,

Rode in Wales for the first time on Saturday. We did the Marin Trail in Betws Y Coed. Very wet and slippery, espesially tricky on the down hill sections, but so worth it, absolutely awesome.
    Came through it, my bike and me completely unscathed!, and I managed to get up every hill without dismounting....
    If I hadn't got the bug before, I definately have now.

Going to Wrexham in a couple of weeks, can't wait!! :D
  • Nickle1988
    Nickle1988 Posts: 51
    Go for it like previous comments have already said follow there line. I did exactly the same on my first time in wales. Its the only way to improve and get to know your bike. The one tip i would give is when i first went i did follow the line but always look for a smoother route around them even the best riders dont hit the perfect line every time. Just leave distance incase they crash aswell i made that mistake of sticking to the person in front of me like glue and narrowly avoided them. :D . But most of all enjoy and you will come back a better rider.
    the only was to push your limits is to overstep then now and then
  • If 'Marin Trail was your first ride and you never dismounted 'Hats off to you fella'. Did you start in that car park and head on up that bloody climb straight from having cold legs :shock: i hated that bit. The last climb was a killer but the decent was fabulous! Glad you enjoyed yourself. Next time i try it im going to be doing it on a single speed, probably rigid bike :?
    http://www.pinkbike.com/photo/1347023/

KEEPING IT REAL RIDING STEEL
  • tagmnbagm
    Hi,

Marin was not my first ride, I've been riding for about 6 months. Nothing as extreme as the Marin trail though. And yeah started in the car park, and headed up the narrow short section, then onto the long hil!! what an introduction to the trail that is!
    I think my fuel bill is about to go throught the roof with all the places i've ear marked to visit now.
    Like the McDonalds Ads say; 'I'm lovin it!'