Bealach start times, trains and Tornapress after 1100

HP40
HP40 Posts: 39
I was looking at the Bealach start times, and noticed that there are no group starts, you just head off between 0830-1000. Does this mean that there won't be the brilliant cavalry charge to Tornapress? Will everyone just head off in dribs and drabs?

Also, you have to get to Tornapress (36 miles) after 1100am, because the road will be closed to cyclists until then. If the fast folk head off too early they will have to hang about at Tornapress.

Throw in a train crossing at 24 miles at 1030, and there are a few calculations needed if cyclists are to have a good run at beating last year's times.

It seems to me that the slower cyclists will have to head off first, which is not my experience of sportives.

What have others planned? Is 0930-1000 the best time to head off? :? :?:

Comments

• wakemalcolm
    wakemalcolm Posts: 628
    Have to admit that it looks like a recipe for chaos with the potential for everyone calculating for an 11:05 arrival at Tornapress and all the fast guys probably passing the slower ones en route. I think a quick look at the weather in the morning should make my mind up.
    ================================
    Cake is just weakness entering the body
  • Noodley
    Noodley Posts: 1,725
    Just had a look at my time to the start of the climb last year and reckon 9.30-10.00am start for me. I wonder whether everyone thinking this will fit onto the road. :?
  • daowned
    daowned Posts: 414
    I dont really understand this, if there is a train at 10:30 and the road to the Bealach is not open till 11 why not start the event at 10:30 and that would sort all the problems missing the train and the road will be open?
  • arranandy
    arranandy Posts: 688
    I saw this on the Bealach website as well. I'll probably set off about 9.30ish. Means I can have a long lie!!!
    Flying Scot? You must be joking!
  • daowned
    Sounds like a good time to set off Andy.

I still have to get our accommodation sorted anyone got any ideas we have a car so I was thinking Inverness then take a drive over on the day?
  • kend
    kend Posts: 13
    Wakemalcolm, I've had the same 'recipe for chaos' thoughts as you!

I have a nightmare scenario where the top section of the climb (in particular the hideously steep long left-hander just before the hairpins) is just completely choked with bodies. Very much hope we're wrong though.

What could further fuel the problem is the train issue. Looks like I'm going to be joining the rest of you on this thread (and I'd imagine a few hundred others) by leaving at 9.30. Should most of us stick in a group (or train, if you prefer!) then an awful lot of people are going to hit a very narrow steep road at once. Yikes.
  • arranandy
    arranandy Posts: 688
    I'm not worried as I'll drop you all on the big climb.....NOT!!!!! :wink:
    Flying Scot? You must be joking!
  • daowned
    Got some accommodation sorted at last...thanks for the help

see ya :roll:
  • kend wrote:

I have a nightmare scenario where the top section of the climb (in particular the hideously steep long left-hander just before the hairpins) is just completely choked with bodies. Very much hope we're wrong though.

I watched BBC2 Scotland's "Outdoor Show" coverage of last year's event and gather that some poor bloke crashed on the upper section of the BnaBa descent and is now paralysed. I'm surprised the organisers couldn't come up with a safer plan for this year. :shock: :cry:
  • rabk
    rabk Posts: 182
    Just spotted this thread

I have same concerns as posted on other Bealach thread. I have been thinking about leaving at 9.15 - 9.30, although I think this may clash with the train. From memory I think it took about an hour and 10 mins to get to the train crossing last year.
  • noggincp
    noggincp Posts: 1,881
    kend wrote:

You'll be fine
    :D

I did the Bealach Beag in May and had the same worry- actually more about the descent.

It's a long road and the field was well spaced out when I had to get off :oops: at exactly the point you mention ( mind so did many other get off)

There were no rwla probelms aopart from the support cars up your arse on the "closed roads" section
    <font>"Tongue sandwiches? Bleah! Eat what? But it\'s been in somebody else\'s mouth"</font>