October tour ideas

aberdeenian
aberdeenian Posts: 48
edited July 2007 in Tour & expedition
Not for this, but next (this year's tour was two weeks in Brittany at the beginning of June).

Looking for some ideas for a week long tour round about October next year. Always done the 2 week luggage hauling/camping thing (and enjoyed it immensely), but thinking of something with luggage transfers and more hills for next year.

Thinking of Corsica maybe. Can't seem to find any companies that match what I'm looking for - would prefer self-guided and around 100km a day (I usually average around 100km a day with all the luggage). Everything I've found has much shorter days.

Alternatively, does anyone have any suggestions for a good place to base myself and do day rides from?

Ta.
Two wheels on my wagon

Comments

• Cathryn
    Cathryn Posts: 176
    If it was me, I'd need to be warm ish so I'd head south to Spain or Sicily. Yep, I think I'd do Sicily. Good wine, good food, glorious country.
  • HarryDd
    HarryDd Posts: 21
    Have a look at www.iberocycle.com (?)

Their website offers a self guided 12 night luggage transfer tour round the mountains of north Spain including the Picos de Europa. May be available in October.

They may even customise for longer days if you ask nicely.
  • Peak Times
    Peak Times Posts: 81
    If you are looking for a base for some serious hill climbing from, then we are ideally suited. Not that we are biased but we are surrounded by some of the Pyrenees classic Le Tour climbs.

http://www.peak-times.com/supported_cycling_breaks.htm[/quote]
    www.peak-times.com

Independent or supported cycling holidays in the French Pyrenees
  • knedlicky
    knedlicky Posts: 3,097
    In October 5 years ago, I enjoyed the west side of Italy, from about 10 miles south of Livorno to 50 miles north of Rome, going inland as far east as Perugia and Arezzo. Quiet minor roads most everywhere, good weather, good food, beach on a rest day. We had a base inland from Elba, towards Siena, and either set off from the house, or drove a bit first then did a round trip back to the parked car.