Met police campaign of indifference toward cyclists continue

rothbook
rothbook Posts: 943
edited December 2007 in Campaign
Met police have just given me an amazing statistic which confirms how little enforcement they do to protect cyclists.

In the year from 1 July 2006 to 30 June 2007, police issued just three £30 penalties to drivers who drove in cycle lanes.

Comments

• mick_cornick
    mick_cornick Posts: 175
    edited July 2007
    Does not surprise me, I have contacted the met police twice after driver road rage attacks and was told that they would not even contact/warn the drivers involved!
    As an aside I wonder whether if I bought a helmet camera I could use the recording to force the police into action. Mind you only two incidents, though they were serious, in I don't know how many thousands of miles isn't too bad.

Cycling has left me knackered and skint :lol:
  • Yorkshireman
    Yorkshireman Posts: 999
    Colin N.

Lincolnshire is mostly flat... but the wind is mostly in your face!
  • A Helmet camera? I wonder if we will end up forwarding youtube addresses to the constabulary...
  • Not actually that bad an idea. Perhaps this is an example of how modern technology can help cyclists.
    I tried youtube already and found this
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8H0Pb_qjj6k

but it isn't relevant as it relates to the actions of a mentally ill police officer.

I am going to dust off an old mobile phone handset with a 1.2MegPix camera...
  • Jon G
    Jon G Posts: 281
    rothbook wrote:
    Met police have just given me an amazing statistic which confirms how little enforcement they do to protect cyclists.

They are not all bad - my wife's hybrid was stolen on Tue morning and recovered by the Met the next day. A PC spotted a youth he had arrested for other matters the week before riding it and noticed it matched the description of one stolen nearby.

Jon
  • Porgy
    Porgy Posts: 4,525
    I once tried to get the police to deal with a flagrant case of a motorist deliberately blocking a cycle lane and refusing to move - during rush hour. The police immediately threatened to arrest me!!
  • Not actually that bad an idea. Perhaps this is an example of how modern technology can help cyclists.
    I tried youtube already and found this
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8H0Pb_qjj6k

but it isn't relevant as it relates to the actions of a mentally ill police officer.

I am going to dust off an old mobile phone handset with a 1.2MegPix camera...

Regarding using helmet cams and posting the results on youtube, there are at least five members on youtube who regularly do this;

mailpauljonescouk
    andyb0000
    lsmike
    md451
    magnatom

As you would expect – they all seem to draw the usual ignorant comments from motorists who view them

Worth a look if you have the time
  • Mithras
    Mithras Posts: 428
    Ok' time for a reality check and an explanation. Quite simply, yes there are infringements that take place against cyclists, with motorists driving in cyle lanes, road rage against cylists etc. but here is the problem and there isn't an easy solution!

There are quite simply not enough Police Officers available to deal with every little infringement in the law. Whilst we as cyclists will obviously consider that the motorist riding on our cycle lane (that most of us hate anyway because they are so badly set up) as the most heinous of crimes, Mrs Miggins from number 42 will not leave the police alone because the kids from number 43 kicked their football against her fence yesterday. Mrs Z called the police because her husband would not tell her where he was last night and as his wife she has the right to know (I kid you not). At the same time every one of these people believes that their complaint is the most important thing in the world at that current time.

However, although unable to coment on other police forces I do not have time to stop and deal with every motorist with a light out as i should, every cyclist riding without lights and any other number of neighbourhood disputes (Thats what PCSO's are supposedly there for). Most days I do not stop for lunch and if I do I get called out early. It is a case of priorities and I have to deal with robberies burglaries and violent domestics first.

Now, how many of you that say you were threatened with arrest ended up getting on your high horse and shouting at the officer concerned or just would not leave when he told you? Breach of the peace probably. If you are not happy with the with the outcome, ask for the officers collar number and make a complaint. Lets face it The authorities love it when the Police are brought to book!

Want to make a difference? Then ask the chancellor to raise your taxes and increase the number of officers on the street or join the Specials......No? Didn't think it was that important. So next time you see a police officer being assaulted in the street just think "It serves them right for not stopping that motorist in the cycle lane.

PS Yes I am bitter and twisted about the Police (lack of) Pay Deal :evil:

PPS I still love you all despite the anti police feelings displayed!
    I can afford to talk softly!....................I carry a big stick!
  • We have had people falsely claiming to be police officers, lawyers and a whole host of other legal minded professions.

It appears that Mithras is a real serving officer. I know a few and the examples given seem about right.

So Mithras - how do you feel about police paperwork?
  • bryanm
    bryanm Posts: 218
    Reality check? Ok, here's one. An ever increasing percentage of motorists simply don't give a damn about anyone else. An ever increasing percentage of motorists also know that they are frankly, above the law and will continue to get away with an increasing amount of antisocial behaviour. Why can't I go for run without having a horn blasted at me by spotty urchins in a clapped out Vauxhall Corsa's? Why do I constantly have to give way to motorists who want to drive across the pavement even though I have the right of way? Why when I shout back at motorists who sound their horn at me, even though I'm supposed to be on the pavement and they're not, do I get a mouthful of abuse? Why can't I take a pushchair or pram down my own street without having to spend half the time walking in the road because of all the cars parked illegally on the pavement.
    Pop round here one evening, there's a least 10 cars parked illegally right now - all parked in such a way that the pavement is not useable.

I appreciate that these are perceived as indivdual minor issues, but antisocial behaviour by motorists needs tackling. How many burglaries are solved? I'd wager very few, but the police could sort out anti-social motoring right now. Start taking cars off people and have them crushed if they can't be bothered to drive them properly.

This issue is not about cycling, it's about motorists not giving a damn about anyone else.
  • Mithras
    We have had people falsely claiming to be police officers, lawyers and a whole host of other legal minded professions.

It appears that Mithras is a real serving officer. I know a few and the examples given seem about right.

So Mithras - how do you feel about police paperwork?

Paperwork! Far too much replication. It needs to be done. Forms need to be filled out. However when every department gets you to fill out a form to make thier job easier it triples the amount a front line officer has to do.
    Forms: Why so many different ones. Stop Search/ Encounter, Warning for canabis. PND x 2 £80 and £50. Section 27 Order to leave an area....Oh and don't forget the Traffic PNDs and HORT1 pads. And thats just the stuff you carry in your pockets. Then there ar the Witness Statement forms, Doctors Consent etc. Etc.
    However, on a brighter note, in Peterborough we are trialling headcams which should mean the need to take so many witness statements will diminsh as you can't argue with CCTV.

PS Yes I am a real live copper who is complaing about the way our Govt. has screwed the Police Service over it's pay rise.
  • Again, your last post in itself is a certificate of authenticity. I have often wondered why the government issues protective jackets to officers when the amount of paperwork you carry could render an assault rifle ineffective.

Anyway, I am guessing there is another issue behind this pay thing. The issue is that your own perceived worth is being eroded by the government.
    I'm guessing that when you joined the force you had a mental image that invovled you being generally heroic, slapping the cuffs on a variety of really nasty people and being thanked for it. This is actually what we want you to do.
    Instead you get [insert any of your own examples from above] and backstabbing from Downing street.

I have a sneaking suspicion that if you were allowed to be a policeman instead of a uniformed admin assistant then this pay deal wouldn't have caused such an uprise.

I also have a feeling that if you were freed up to do police work then we would see an improvement both in the success of catching bulgars/rapists/dealers and success in dealing with bad motorists.

Some may think this is going off the point a little, and that this is a cycling forum not a police one. I rather think that since we are not getting the police response we desire, then we must look at the mechanisms of that response.

I have seen a number of people stop smoking, cut the beer down and take exercise after their first heart atttack. With this in mind perhaps a police strike would be a very good thing. Show people your worth by a brief period of it's absence. I for one totally support you
  • spen666
    spen666 Posts: 17,709
    bryanm wrote:

This issue is not about cycling, it's about motorists not giving a damn about anyone else.

Face the reality- it is not about motorists not giving a damn about anyone else, it is about most people not giving a damn about anyone else

What you describe is a symptom of society as a whole
    Want to know the Spen666 behind the posts?
    Then read MY BLOG @ http://www.pebennett.com

Twittering @spen_666
  • spen666 wrote:
    bryanm wrote:

Face the reality- it is not about motorists not giving a damn about anyone else, it is about most people not giving a damn about anyone else

What you describe is a symptom of society as a whole

Well said that man.

That is why the level of emigration is now beginning to catch up with immigration!

The problem is that it is more likely to be the people we want to stay who are leaving so the UK is going to need every single hardworking immigrant who comes here to start a new life and improve their way of life or we'll end up with a country full of thuggish, work-shy, chav animals.

IMO.

But don't get me started....
    Now living happily at http://www.uk-mtb.com !!
  • Mithras
    Eternal Thanks for the support. However the Police Pay Fiasco is nother subject.

Steve
  • Ok, perhaps I did wander a little from the point, but there is an underlying relevant issue.
    How could we really make it easier for the police to deal with these motorist/cyclist incidents?
  • Mithras
    Simple, more coppers on the streets, less paperwork and zero tolerance attiude to all offences (motorist or cyclists).
    Better education for all road users. Ideally I would like to see everone who wishes to get a driving license pass a cycling proficency course, motorcycle/scooter cbt and then thier driving test. However, in the real world that isn't going to happen!
    It would also be good to see motorists who have been convicted of carless or dangerous driving (banned or not) have to take a short driving course. Even it was just classroom based for 10 hours.
  • It is rather tragic that you think your rather sensible and realistic suggestions are unattainable. Nothing you have outlined is beyond our abilities as a society to make happen.
    I like your idea of a comprehensive road users test (cycle/cbt/car) as the point of view change would be great.
    The driving course is also a good one.

I have also suggested in the past that short bans should be widely used. Pehaps instead of points and fine (or as well as) a speeding driver would become a pedestrian / cyclist for a week. How do you feel about that?