Will the weather affect cycling badly?

Cressers
Cressers Posts: 1,329
edited July 2007 in The bottom bracket
I was prompted to post this after seeing a man clearing out a flooded bike shop on the news. Who will buy an expensive bike to see it thrown in the same skip as the rest of the sodden furniture when the rains next come? Will all the new commuters go back to the shelter of their cars if, as expected, this stubborn jet stream refuses to budge for months if not longer? Ther'll always be some bargains to be had, and a hard core will keep on riding no matter what, but I think the cycling bubble my be about to burst.

What do you think?

Comments

• ChrisLS
    ChrisLS Posts: 2,749
    ...I saw lots of stranded cars on the news and a few people on bikes riding through the floods. Last year when we had floods round these parts I got through on my bike as the cars struggled...
    ...all the way...'til the wheels fall off and burn...
  • Eat My Dust
    Eat My Dust Posts: 3,965
    Why would you throw a bike away after it getting wet?
  • ajohn9
    ajohn9 Posts: 260
    When we had floods here a few years ago the LBS made a killing!!
    sold off some bikes for pretty cheap but managed to shift all the stock, so its not all bad!
  • Cressers
    Why would you want to dump a flood affected bike? That's what I thought! A quick hose down and regrease and all would be well. But the owner said they'd all been contaminated by sewage and were unsaleable as was the componet and clothing stock.
  • Eat My Dust
    Eat My Dust Posts: 3,965
    Sounds like an insurance job!! get yourself in that skip and take all the stuff home, even the clothes!!!!
  • Cressers
    That's what I was thinking!
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,348
    I was stuck on the M5 all night, but luckily i managed to get into a service station and get m head down.....20 hours for a 5 hour journey was pretty soul destroying though!!!!!
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • Bronzie
    Bronzie Posts: 4,927
    My friend is a rep for Trek - he confirms that sales have been pants since June when the normal bit of sun and some warmth we call Summer failed to materialise.

He's in the same boat as ice-cream vans, barbecue sales etc I think.

Shops selling wellies and waders on the other hand......................... :D
  • Hairy Jock
    Hairy Jock Posts: 558
    Cressers wrote:
    I was prompted to post this after seeing a man clearing out a flooded bike shop on the news. Who will buy an expensive bike to see it thrown in the same skip as the rest of the sodden furniture when the rains next come?

What do you think?

Where is this skip? Sound to good to miss :P
    Best advice I ever got was "better get a bike then"
    Cycle commuting since 1994. Blog with cycle bits.
    Also with the old C+ crowd at Cycle Chat.
  • overmars
    overmars Posts: 430
    ITA with the OP.
    :(
    If anyone is thinking of getting rid of an over expensive-useless-waste-of-money-waste-of-time bike. I honestly don't blame them as this weather is truly awful.

It would be a heavy burden on me to take the useless heap of junk of you for free... but because I like to help out my fellow man/woman, I'll do it.

Just remember that I'm doing you a favour.
  • my road bike had flood water probably up to just above the bottom bracket, and it's fine.
  • ivancarlos
    ivancarlos Posts: 1,034
    It was a lovely day round here today. Took the day off and had a ride in summer kit. Even had suncream on 8)
    I have pain!
  • Fab Foodie
    Fab Foodie Posts: 5,155
    Went out with my eldest daughter and rode through some floods this evening.

The pessimists of this world are rarely disappointed....
    Fab's TCR1
  • jimmythecuckoo
    jimmythecuckoo Posts: 4,712
    I don't know about bike sales, but I am sick of looking at dry weather out of the office window only for it to throw it down when I am out at about 6 :?
  • OffTheBackAdam
    OffTheBackAdam Posts: 1,869
    ivancarlos wrote:
    It was a lovely day round here today. Took the day off and had a ride in summer kit. Even had suncream on 8)
    It's amazing how quickly you can take a dislike to somebody! :wink:
    Remember that you are an Englishman and thus have won first prize in the lottery of life.
  • MrKawamura
    MrKawamura Posts: 192
    It's dry today, so I decided not to throw my bike away and cycled it to work instead.

I cycle from Woking to Brookwood station, get on the train to Winchfeild, then it's a couple of miles to work from there. I cycle the 20 miles back to Woking in the evening. Only when it's dry though, which has been twice this year. There was one other dry day, but I had a hangover. I suppose I'm one of those who has gone scuttling back to the car, but I'm trying to keep the faith.
  • cygnet
    cygnet Posts: 92
    On my ride on Saturday we rode through flood water up to my brake blocks, past a couple of abandoned cars including a 4x4. Great fun. Dried everything out, cleaned and lubricated, just ready to get tipped on on Monday evening.
    I cycle badly regardless of the weather
    Organising the Bradford Kids Saturday Bike Club at the Richard Dunn Sports Centre since 1998
    http://www.facebook.com/groups/eastbradfordcyclingclub/
    http://www.facebook.com/groups/eastbradfordcyclingclub/
  • david2
    david2 Posts: 5,200
    Hopefully I'll get the mains water back today. Bucket baths after a sweaty bicycle ride just aren't satisfying.

Had to lift the bike onto my shoulder and wade through water up to my chamois a couple of weeks ago, but that was before the rain got serious.
  • Ghost Donkey
    Ghost Donkey Posts: 914
    As soon as it looks like the floods are coming put your bikes on the top floor or in the loft. Then consider your family.