XC tyre choice Help

Shaun_rob
Shaun_rob Posts: 47
edited August 2007 in XC and Enduro
Hi, im looking for a new set of XC tyres for my Hardtail. I'l be riding the Merida MTB event in Selkirk and doing some other long-ish distance rides. Looking for somehing in a 2.1.
Can anyone recomend a suitable tyre for me? If i've missed out any vital information just let me know!

Thanks
Shaun

Comments

• Scubar
    Scubar Posts: 453
    Panaracer Fire XC Pro, Panaracer Cinder, Panaracer Fire Sport, Schwalbe Nobby Nic

My Marin Hawkhill 2007 - http://www.pinkbike.com/photo/1382583/
  • john74
    john74 Posts: 254
    i second the panaracer fire xc pro 2.1 folding
    2010 Forme Reve
    2010 Giant Talon 1
  • dvatc_mark
    dvatc_mark Posts: 37
    Fire XC pro 2.1s have served me well this year in botm mud and dry. The only issue I habe found with them is the strength of the sidewalls, as they seem to be a bit prone to damge from rocks ect (my back one has developped 3 tears that I've patched up with gaffer tape).

But in terms of grip ect they do a mighty fine job.
  • gr033y
    gr033y Posts: 29
    I've got Panaracer Fire xc pro 1.9's on my hardtail, VERY low rolling resistance and i cant tell the difference grip wise from the 2.1's i had on before.
  • Bazzowmb
    Bazzowmb Posts: 227
    Fire XC Pro's too. Pretty light too (2.1's = 580g).

Don't think they clear mud very well (ref above comment) but then again its not meant to be an out and out winter tyre.
  • The Spiderman
    The Spiderman Posts: 5,625
    Schwalbe Nobby Nics.Faster rolling and lighter than the Panaracers.
    2006 Giant XTC
    2010 Giant Defy Advanced
    2016 Boardman Pro 29er
    2016 Pinnacle Lithium 4
    2017 Canondale Supersix Evo
  • Nobbyc2
    Nobbyc2 Posts: 3
    Nobby Nics here too - excellent speed/grip combination. Can be run up front with a Racing Ralph on the rear which speeds things up even more.
  • ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    Standard responses, fire xc pro, cinder, razer or nobbly nic with racing ralph.
  • XC_Jim
    XC_Jim Posts: 1
    I've just ordered a pair of Nobby Nics from a German online retailer. All-in price for the pair = £44!! javascript:emoticon(':lol:')
    Laughing
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Don't rule out the Conti Speedking
  • What german online retailer was that?
    The Prince

'RIDE HARD, RIDE HARDTAIL'
  • Giant04
    Giant04 Posts: 29
    Alright mate
    dont know if you have bought any tyres yet but if not check the price on these tyres
    Item number: 190131234179
    I would of posted proper link but not sure how
    Rob
  • streako
    streako Posts: 2,937
    My choice of tyre for Selkirk will be Bonty Mud x 2.0 on back, and Bonty ACX on front. Scotland has been pretty wet this year, and if the route goes over moors or fields, then it is bound to be muddy.
  • gazo
    gazo Posts: 24
    i know its an old post but CRC are selling a pair of nobby nics for 39.99 all in!! i think i'll get me a pair
    carrera vulcan \'07
    specialized rockhopper disc \'07
  • Red Panda
    Red Panda Posts: 269
    Giant04 wrote:
    Alright mate
    dont know if you have bought any tyres yet but if not check the price on these tyres
    Item number: 190131234179
    I would of posted proper link but not sure how
    Rob
    You can get Panaracer Fire XC's from Merlin for: £19.95 a pair (Steel Bead), £27.95 a pair (Kevlar OE) and £39.95 a pair for the full Kevlar version. All with free P&P
    http://www.merlincycles.co.uk/acatalog/ ... TYRES.html
  • Discopooh
    Discopooh Posts: 109
    I've just got some WTB epicwolf, seem very good and a good weight at 480grams. £21 a pair off fleebay
  • The Spiderman
    The Spiderman Posts: 5,625
    Schwalbe Nobby Nics on CRC for £40 a pair.Fast,light,grippy and only 500g each.Brilliant tyres.
    2006 Giant XTC
    2010 Giant Defy Advanced
    2016 Boardman Pro 29er
    2016 Pinnacle Lithium 4
    2017 Canondale Supersix Evo