energy drinks

simon says
simon says Posts: 11
hey all - "energy drinks? - nah - expensive, yicky" etc. yes that was me two weeks ago. this week after some serious col riding in the alps i have to say i think they work - or at least they seemed to - no cramp, no dizziness, fresh the next day after 5-6 hours riding some 2000m jobs. but they are dear - tried Lucozade and SIS GO - both seemed good - anywhere to get them cheap? -any other tips on drinks - what's hot and what's not - and CHEAP??

best to all

simon
simonsays

Comments

• oldwelshman
    oldwelshman Posts: 4,733
    I use myprotein.com own recipe drinks which are quite a bit cheaper than named brands. You can save more if you buy ngredients from them and make your own.
    If I run out I mix glucose in squash.
  • nolf
    nolf Posts: 1,287
    Home made energy drink (not very cheap though)

1litre of fruit juice
    several handfuls of strawberry's
    2 banannas
    Ice

Put that all in a blender

If you want a more thirst quenching drink add 1 litre of water.
    That should last you a good 4 hours of hard riding (or 100kmish)
    "I hold it true, what'er befall;
    I feel it, when I sorrow most;
    'Tis better to have loved and lost;
    Than never to have loved at all."

Alfred Tennyson
  • liversedge
    liversedge Posts: 1,003
    nolf wrote:

1litre of fruit juice
    2 banannas
    Ice

<rant>
    forgive me.

all this b*ll*cks about homemade energy drink, don't be so tight and just buy the fecking stuff. Would you use homemade brake blocks and cycling shorts, FFS?
    </rant>
    --
    Obsessed is just a word elephants use to describe the dedicated. http://markliversedge.blogspot.com
  • richa
    richa Posts: 1,631
    liversedge wrote:
    <rant>
    forgive me.

all this b*ll*cks about homemade energy drink, don't be so tight and just buy the fecking stuff. Would you use homemade brake blocks and cycling shorts, FFS?
    </rant>

:lol::lol::lol:

I'm a High5 man.

Alternate between H5 Isotonic & H5 Xtreme.
    Rich
  • ut_och_cykla
    ut_och_cykla Posts: 1,594
    SAme here. They do the job when you're cycling hard. HAving also done some cols a few weeks ago I also enjoyed the benefits of real food - also dear! But more satisfying when you're a bit tired and cool at the top of a col. I save the the chemicals in plastic for my 'big/hard' rides (note quote marks :wink: ) and eat suitable 'real' food at othertimes. Good own mixes work out 'not cheap' as someone else points out here.
  • oldwelshman
    oldwelshman Posts: 4,733
    liversedge wrote:
    nolf wrote:

1litre of fruit juice
    2 banannas
    Ice

<rant>
    forgive me.

</rant>

Maybe its because your a lazy fucker and dont want to try :D
    Why pay too much for branded when you can get exact same drink cheaper? Your just lining the pockets of Hi5 and Sis. You can get exact same elsewhere.
  • liversedge
    liversedge Posts: 1,003
    liversedge wrote:
    nolf wrote:

1litre of fruit juice
    2 banannas
    Ice

<rant>
    forgive me.

</rant>

Maybe its because your a lazy ****** and dont want to try :D
    Why pay too much for branded when you can get exact same drink cheaper? Your just lining the pockets of Hi5 and Sis. You can get exact same elsewhere.
    maybe carrying a battery powered blender and 4 litres of fruit juice, 4 bananas a punit of strawberries whilst towing a freezer on my long rides is a bit of a hassle, maybe the blend of electrolytes and antioxidants I want are important to me, maybe it works out cheaper in the long run to use a high-tech powder, maybe I hate bananas.

Oh no, I'm a lazy f**ker aparently. :evil:
    --
    Obsessed is just a word elephants use to describe the dedicated. http://markliversedge.blogspot.com