London 2 Cambridge

overmars
overmars Posts: 430
Greetings 8)

Sunday 22nd July. Start times 07:30 - 0915. For Breakthrough Breast cancer.

See, http://www.bike-events.com/Ride.aspx?id=137 for more details

Shouldn't hurt much. It's only 50 miles!

The weather might put a few people off though, including me :( BUT reading the latest weather reports, the wind will be on our backs! :D

Comments

• overmars
    Wet, wet, wet.
  • Aperitif 51
    Aperitif 51 Posts: 181
    Good luck! Should be plain sailing...
    106kg - kg361 255characters have read this so far...I believe
  • overmars
    It was plain sailing! :D

Apart from the morning being wet it quickly dried up and became a very warm, sunny and beautiful day. I can't believe the weather reports were so wrong. Hold on... yeah, I can. :roll:

The queue at the start was horrendous! Great to see... but looong!
    For those off you who have done it before the first section is better suited to mtb'ers than roadies. It was also kinda slow. Once out on the open road though, it was glorious! (pics coming soon!)

Very imressed with the one wheeled wonders. Very, very impressed with the American guy with his recumbent leaving everyone in his dust (except me!) I'm not kidding, this guy was f.a.s.t.

There was a set of light stops that must have stayed red for ten minutes!! I don't know if it ever turned green because everyone rlj (I'll surrender to the proper authorities later! :P ).

Took a picture of a police car parked up with the officer talking with some cyclists. There were two cars in front with some youngsters protesting their innocence. I don't want to sound biased but the chavs looked guilty as hell to me and I'd recommend the immediate crushing of their vehicle. Ok... I'm a little biased.

I think I stopped three times. This was mainly to fill up my bottles and heed the call of nature. Funny thing is that for the first 40 miles my average speed was 17.3mph. For the last 10 miles it was 18.1!!!

Total distance: 47.85miles (yeah, that's not accurate. It's 50. Ruddy GPS!)
    Total ride time: 2hrs 44mins
    Average speed: 17.5mph

As with the other smaller rides I was very impressed with the quality of most of the people on it.

Pics coming tomorrow. I'm at work at the moment.
    You know, I would have been faster if I didn't slow to take so many pics! :wink:
  • A great day out and the rain held off :P
    But how many flats did the boys with the CSC top have :?: every time we pasted them they had a wheel out, at the stop with the tent in the field , looked like one had a tyre split.
  • overmars
    I didn't see the CSC team on this ride. I did see them on the London to Southend and, they had problems on that ride too! The wheel was off a bike and further down the road their mates were wondering what had happend to them. Nice group of riders.
  • overmars
    Just a few pics. Thought I'd actually show a wonderful piece of tarmac. With a view! 8)

22072007012.jpg

The pic doesn't really show how golden brown the field was! kinda made you want to take all your clothes off and meditate under a tree!

Paris Hilton + Bicycle =
    http://i200.photobucket.com/albums/aa4/ ... 007017.jpg

One wheeled wonders
    http://i200.photobucket.com/albums/aa4/ ... 007006.jpg
    http://i200.photobucket.com/albums/aa4/ ... 007007.jpg
  • Pirahna
    Pirahna Posts: 1,315
    overmars wrote:
    There was a set of light stops that must have stayed red for ten minutes!! I don't know if it ever turned green because everyone rlj (I'll surrender to the proper authorities later! :P ).

The traffic lights are probably the ones in Little Hadham at the junction of the A120. The longest you'll wait there is 5 minutes and that's in the morning/evening peak when the road is very busy. On a Sunday it'll be a 2 minute wait max. A very dodgy set of light to jump as you have no view of the road to the right, and because of the wait times cars approaching on the A120 from your right will be speeding. If you're ever there again expect traffic speeds up to 60mph through the 30 limit.

I live a couple of miles north and have to use the junction every day.
  • Greenbank
    Greenbank Posts: 731
    Ah yes, we had a long wait to cross the A120 last year. Probably about 10 minutes or so.

Well done whoever finished it. Last year the certificate had a nice picture of a lonely bike on what looked like midsummer common. This year you get a certificate with a picture of me on it. Heh.
    --
    If I had a baby elephant signature, I\'d use that.