My local bike shop

Dickie
Dickie Posts: 1,489
edited August 2007 in The bottom bracket
My local bike shop has some really good deals inc free delivery on high end Giant and Specialized.

Martin the owner asked if I would mind giving him a small plug, so I have.

The site is still under constuction and new stuff is added often. They also do Hope, Chris King and loads more.

If you want it they can get it, I figure its nice to know of as many decent bike shops as you can.

http://www.citycycleschichester.com/default.aspx

Comments

• Yorkshireman
    Yorkshireman Posts: 999
    I'm not too concerned personally with anyone 'helping out' but in the rules &regs in FAQs it does say "Commercial postings are not permitted on this forum." :wink: (C+ were known to remove similar posts).
    Colin N.

Lincolnshire is mostly flat... but the wind is mostly in your face!
  • daowned
    daowned Posts: 414
    Yes you may well have to be prepared to have your arse cheeks skinned to make a new saddle for the C+ editors bike :D
  • Dickie
    Ow I don't fancy that!! :D
  • daowned
    daowned Posts: 414
    lol yeah indeed :lol:
  • Hairy Jock
    Hairy Jock Posts: 558
    Dickie wrote:
    My local bike shop has some really good deals inc free delivery on high end Giant and Specialized.

The site is still under constuction and new stuff is added often. They also do Hope, Chris King and loads more.

If you want it they can get it, I figure its nice to know of as many decent bike shops as you can.

This post seems to be popping up on multiple forums...
    Best advice I ever got was "better get a bike then"
    Cycle commuting since 1994. Blog with cycle bits.
    Also with the old C+ crowd at Cycle Chat.
  • Hairy Jock wrote:
    Dickie wrote:

yawn...you think I'll click on the link you freeloader.

This post seems to be popping up on multiple forums...
  • Dickie
    It is in the mtb section and cyclechat. As for me being a freeloader, Im just a customer.

You dont have to look, I am just sharing information the choice is yours.

Perhaps we should all give our good local bike shops a plug. Always handy to know if you are in a different part of the country.

Us cyclists do get about and its not always obvious where the good shops are.

Im going to bed.
  • bagpusscp
    bagpusscp Posts: 2,907
    Hello Dickie . Nice to see you are still around . Have you any new projects on .
    bagpuss
  • overmars
    overmars Posts: 430
    I want to give a plug too!

Ok, I wanna give a plug to the guy who drives the 4x4 outside my workplace. :D

I want to put the plug in his exhaust pipe. :twisted:
  • Dickie
    Hi BP good to see you too.
    I am still faffing with my 1971 Hurlow and a 60s Henry Burton. What have you got on?
  • Cressers
    Cressers Posts: 1,329
    I'd second the comments about City Cycles, I've been a cuctomer of theirs for 13 years. Martin and Jackie go above and beyond the call of duty, do yourself a favour and go there!
  • bagpusscp
    bagpusscp Posts: 2,907
    Hi Dickie . Most of my projects are on hold at the moment . This is due to lack of space . No room to swing a cat ! . Just cleared the Garage at the late M I L 's house . I have been using it as an overflow , now it's got to go ! :?
    bagpuss
  • i'll plug my LBSes seeing as everybody's doing it...
    www.langsettcycles.co.uk
    www.jejamescycles.co.uk :wink:
  • ajohn9
    ajohn9 Posts: 260
    www.settvalleycycles.co.uk
    dedicated to road stuff!
  • Dickie
    Good to see some more links.
    Bonj if we are doing some Sheffield links, I always found Wilsons very helpful when I lived there. That was 15 odd years ago though.
  • owaingibby
    owaingibby Posts: 240
    I'm not going to put up a link for any of my local bike shops since I think they're no good, although that may be doing them a favour, maybe we need a name and shame thread.
  • Kidjambo
    Kidjambo Posts: 12
    I'm agree - a "name & shame" thread for local bike shops would be good. My problem is that whenever I go into mine, all they do is moan about the lack of buiness they are getting, the competition from internet/mailorder companies and reduced margins on cycle gear for them to earn. I know for a fact that the boss of my local IBD spends half his working day on trade websites moaning about these things yet is not prepared to get off his fat backside and do something about it. His general apathy is ruining his business and it is no wonder that many local cyclists use his outlet to "window shop" and try out stuff before buying it online! If I had a decent local shop, that offered efficient and friendly service then I would be willing to pay a few quid more here and there to support them but if they don't care about me then I'm going to buy from the cheapest source and buy ear-plugs so I can't hear his constant whinging!
  • Dickie
    Probably best not to get into the name and shame side of things, as they have a habit of biting you in the ass when it all goes tits up.

Not sure if its slander or libel cant remember which is which.

Its not good without a decent bike shop in the area, how far do you have to travel?
  • Kidjambo
    Kidjambo Posts: 12
    To be honest, I used to use a shop about 40 miles away but got bored with travellingso now I tend to test things out at shows & events, read reviews in magazines and then buy online! :(
  • Dickie wrote:
    Good to see some more links.
    Bonj if we are doing some Sheffield links, I always found Wilsons very helpful when I lived there. That was 15 odd years ago though.
    where is (or was) wilson's? suspect it might be closed down now though because it's not listed on yell.com or anything and I've never seen it.
    There is actually a few little bike shops dotted around that look like olde-worlde shops, sell old second-hand bikes and have about 5 or 6 tyres hanging up, and not much else. I get the impression these are some retired person's hobby rather than an actual business though...
  • Dickie
    40 miles to get to a bike shop! Thats dedication.

Try here bonj, my mate mike had one of Wilsons frame's and raced it. It was a nice bike.

http://www.wilsoncycles.co.uk/
  • oh right, on city road. never go up there usually. might have a look sometime though.
  • Dickie
    Anyone else have good local bike shops? A list of all the good ones through the country would be pretty useful.

As an aside my local bike shop as a lad was E.G.Bates in plaistow, no longer there unfortunately.
  • nick hanson
    nick hanson Posts: 1,655
    Kendell cycles in Castleford.The BEST custom wheelbuilding,by Gaz Proud
    so many cols,so little time!
  • gpx001
    gpx001 Posts: 107
    I've used Beacon Cycles in Loughborough for a few years now and have always found them very good. Don't think they've a website tho?!?
    Fuelled by rage - I would rather it be by flapjack
  • Cestria Cycles of Chester le Street if you're in the north east. Ask for Stu - Ace mechanic and fount of all cycling knowledge. Avoid Roy, otherwise known as Arkwright 'cos he won't let you out of the shop if he thinks you've got any money left in your pockets (only joking Roy).
    It's the sort of place where the lads from the local clubs congregate in the workshop swilling mugs of tea and telling lies about how good they are on a bike. It's spot on.
  • Dickie
  • gpx001
    gpx001 Posts: 107
    Dickie wrote:
    Are these the right shops chaps? Anyone else?

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/john.catt/ ... Shops.html

That's the same Beacon cycles - cheers!
    Fuelled by rage - I would rather it be by flapjack
  • nick hanson
    nick hanson Posts: 1,655
    Dickie wrote:
    Are these the right shops chaps? Anyone else?

http://www.kendellcycles.co.uk/index.htm

l
    Yep,thats the one,good service & as said before excellent wheelbuilding
    so many cols,so little time!