Touring wheelsets - your recommendations please

Anonymous
Anonymous Posts: 79,667
edited July 2007 in Tour & expedition
I'm about to invest in a new wheelset for my tourer for road very light off road touring. Being from an mtb background I know nothing at all about road wheels so what would all you seasoned tourers recommend? The strongest build for the least weight is my priorty as I'm quite wee and need to think about these things!
Thanks

Comments

• Eurostar
    Eurostar Posts: 1,806
    Well Kirstie. Yesterday morning you would have been flooded with advice, but this bikeradar balls-up has driven away all the people who know anything, so you're stuck with me.

Let's start by choosing your tyre size. Any thoughts? What kind of roads or trails will you be on? And do you want the emphasis on speed or comfort? Or a bit of both?
    <hr>
    <h6>What\'s the point of going out? We\'re just going to end up back here anyway</h6>
  • Anonymous
    Oh well I know that much!
    - 700cc x 28.
    - Speed rather than comfort, as my tourer is made of 853 and hence is already uber comfortable.
    - And mostly road with some very light off road - perhaps the odd fire road or bumpy lane, that kind of thing.
    Ta!
  • Nick H.
    Nick H. Posts: 15
    Aha! I'm glad you said that, I know nothing about that slow heavy stuff for crossing Patagonia.

In your shoes I think I would get strong hand built race wheels. No need to go for anything with a 'touring' description because I suspect the total weight borne by the tyres will be less than the body weight of many racers. (How much do you weigh?) I would get Mavic Open Pro ceramic rims, DT 240 hubs and Sapim CX-Ray aero spokes. Dead posh, fast, light, well proven, really pukka. You could fit 20 mm tyres one day if you want to go really fast. The ceramic rims last longer and cost £30 extra but you need special brake blocks for braking in the wet.

There are a zillion choices. Probably best just to ask a good wheelbuilder (.e.g. Paul Hewitt or Harry Rowland or Condor) for a good deal then come back here (or preferably go to anothercyclingforum.com where there are more people who really know what they're on about) and check it out before buying. Just tell the wheelbuilder what size tyres you will use, your weight, the weight of your bags, type of roads...and see what he says. He will probably suggest something much cheaper than my suggestion.

Another option would be DRC ST19 rims, which can take tyres from 25 - 32 mm.. 32 mm is a good option to have up your sleeve if you want to go on rougher trails some time in the future.
  • Anonymous
    Thanks for the advice. I don't know any good wheelbuilders so that would have been my next question - I've had too many shonky LBS wheelbuilds and so would like a proper person to do it! I weigh 10 stone so not a lardarse by any means.
  • PHcp
    PHcp Posts: 2,748
    The wheels that came on my Hewitt tourer are the only set I've had where the rims wore out before they needed any adjustment. I think it has more to do with the build than components, these were nothing special, or expensive, DRC rims on Shimano hub. I foolishly let a LBS rebuild them and they've been back twice, lesson learnt.
    This is worth a read, some reasons why Mavics are maybe not the best choice, there are differing opinions, but with so much choice out there why risk it.
    http://www.ctc.org.uk/DesktopDefault.aspx?TabID=3827
  • vernonlevy
    vernonlevy Posts: 969
    Kirstie wrote:
    Thanks for the advice. I don't know any good wheelbuilders so that would have been my next question - I've had too many shonky LBS wheelbuilds and so would like a proper person to do it! I weigh 10 stone so not a lardarse by any means.

Try Spa Cycles at www.spacycles.co.uk

They are touring bike experts and will build you a set of bulletproof wheels to match your needs
  • acorn_user
    acorn_user Posts: 1,137
    My wife and I both have Spa cycles wheels, both with the Rigida Chrina rim. We are impressed. In fact, the Chrina wheels are on my racing bike, not my tourer ;)

Anyway, you might as well get 36 spokes. Shimano mtb hubs are pretty nice, and easy to service when the time comes (the DT ones need a special tool). The DRC rims mentioned would be excellent bets. I have a pair at home that I will build up at Christmas. They are the only ones that are specifically designed for what you are looking for. (Open Pro is too narrow for much above 28, and the A319 is a bit wide and heavy, although I've raced those too!).
  • vernonlevy
    vernonlevy Posts: 969
    acorn_user wrote:
    My wife and I both have Spa cycles wheels, both with the Rigida Chrina rim. We are impressed. In fact, the Chrina wheels are on my racing bike, not my tourer ;)

Anyway, you might as well get 36 spokes. Shimano mtb hubs are pretty nice, and easy to service when the time comes (the DT ones need a special tool). The DRC rims mentioned would be excellent bets. I have a pair at home that I will build up at Christmas. They are the only ones that are specifically designed for what you are looking for. (Open Pro is too narrow for much above 28, and the A319 is a bit wide and heavy, although I've raced those too!).

I am running Mavic 36 spoke 319 rims on Deore hubs and have found them to be very robust with only one retruing needed over the past few years. I am a porky 21 stones and tour with four panniers plus tent.
  • Clarecp
    Clarecp Posts: 559
    Contact Paul Hewitt. The wheels he built us did America, NZ and Austrailia and survived a nasty crash in California and various unmade roads in the Antipodes. They are still going strong back in the UK.
  • Special K
    Special K Posts: 449
    I second the advice about getting a decent wheel builder.

I used my bike for fast light credit card touring as well as weekend rides.
    I have Mavic Open Pros 36 hole laced to Campagnolo Veloce hubs (and 25mm gatroskins). However, under my weight (95kg) and the weight of just one pannier, the spokes were being clipped by the rear mech when in my lowest gear. Not good. The wheel was "soft", and although it was hand built and true, it simply was not correctly tensioned. I am not confident in tensioning a wheel myself, meaning I could not use my lowest gear as a result! All this as I struggled to get up some beefy climbs in France, and, annoyingly, only TWO WEEKS after the wheels had been built.

Moral of the story is the build is as important as the components - and if you want a job doing well, do it yourself.
    "There are holes in the sky,
    Where the rain gets in.
    But they're ever so small
    That's why rain is thin. " Spike Milligan
  • andymiller
    andymiller Posts: 2,856
    I second the recommendation for spacycles (though somewhere along the line I managed to wreck a Chrina rim). The Rigida Sputniks they sell are very tough (though obviously pretty chunky as well) - you're on the borderline between them and the Chrinas.

Build with XT hubs or 105s depending on what sort of frame you have.
  • rdaviesb
    rdaviesb Posts: 566
    DRC ST19's get my vote. I'm running then on my audax (25mm tyres), tourer (32mm tyres) and fast(ish) tandem, (with 28mm tyres). All built by Mr Hewitt, on a variety of Campag, Shimano, Sakae and Mavic hubs. To my mind the builder is the key component. You can have great kit, but if it's not put together properly it will fall apart sooner or later.
  • Harve
    Harve Posts: 14
    Have a look in this months cycle plus ! there is a good test on touring wheels........
  • infopete
    infopete Posts: 878
    I tour on Mavic Open Pro's on either Tune Hubs or centaur. I only use 23mm tyres.

I can't see why Cycling + ignored the rim of choice.

Pete
    Oh and please remember to click on my blog:

http://americanbicyclegroup.wordpress.com

The more clicks I get the higher it creeps up the google radar :)