Rochdale?

fhiyll
fhiyll Posts: 24
edited July 2007 in Routes
Are there any decent routes in the rochdale area?

Cheers
[8D]

----Arggggggg
----Arggggggg

Comments

• Speaking as someone who lived there until I was 18, I can confirm that the only decent route around Rochdale is the one that takes you away from it [;)]

In terms of MB routes then you could try the area round Ogden, Denshaw, Delph and Uppermill. I can't speak from experience but I would imagine there are a few good rough tracks in that area, especially round the reservoirs.

Also try this link:

http://www.npeaks.southlakesgroup.org.uk/

If you look at the 2006 and 2007 photo galleries this indicates some good cross country routes e.g. from Hollingworth Lake and the area round Ogden etc. It's also pretty impressive when you look at the age of some of riders!

I'd be intrigued to know what routes you discover, as I may try some next time I'm down visiting my parents.

Dave
  • pmerryman
    pmerryman Posts: 236
    There is the Mary Townley Loop of the pennine bridleway at todmorden/hebden bridge. Also check out my sig, for a ride around the delph area.

Cheers Paul
    <hr noshade size="1">
    Avalanche 0.5 Disc
    Castleshaw
  • ransos
    ransos Posts: 380
    There's good riding around Ashworth Valley, Rooley Moor (part of it is the Mary Townley loop) and Nangreaves. There's probably loads of stuff heading towards Yorkshire or south towards the Peaks, I'm sure someone will be along to tell all...
  • homers_double
    homers_double Posts: 8,029
    Hi mate, I live in Littleborough.

Plenty of tracks up behind Watergrove to play on, look right up the valley, follow your nose and you'll end up near Gordon Riggs.

Via Healey Dell over rooley moor is quite a tough one, aim for the waterboard track towards Michael Wife Lane (nr edenfield) and you'll hit 45mph+ off road (niiiiice).

Along Blackstone edge towards Studley Pike is ok providing its not too windy, then a few miles back along the canal and you can pick up the first suggestion, only in reverse.
    Advocate of disc brakes.
  • ransos
    ransos Posts: 380
    Hi mate, I live in Littleborough.

Plenty of tracks up behind Watergrove to play on, look right up the valley, follow your nose and you'll end up near Gordon Riggs.

Via Healey Dell over rooley moor is quite a tough one, aim for the waterboard track towards Michael Wife Lane (nr edenfield) and you'll hit 45mph+ off road (niiiiice).

Along Blackstone edge towards Studley Pike is ok providing its not too windy, then a few miles back along the canal and you can pick up the first suggestion, only in reverse.

I used to live in Ramsbottom, so did the Rooley Moor route described in reverse. Much better that way round as you can nail the long rubbly downhill into Norden, cut through to the Edenfield rd, back to Ashworth Valley, then up to Nangreaves and finally a fantastic downhill next to the quarry in Shuttleworth.
  • homers_double
    homers_double Posts: 8,029
    I know what you mean, I found it suited me better my way but thats just based on where I lived at the time (shawclough)
    Advocate of disc brakes.
  • Rigid Raider
    Rigid Raider Posts: 1,568
    Just go and buy the South Pennines Ordnance Survey map, 1 in 25,000 scale and look for the green dashed lines if you want to stay legal, green dotted if you don't mind some cheeky fotpath riding. You'll be amazed at how much quality riding is on your doorstep, some of the best in the UK. If you head over into Calderdale you're into Singletrack magazine country, even better riding. (See www.singletrackworld.com)

Or join Blackburnbikers, see our website and learn loads of new routes all over the North West in the company of like-minded others. (www.blackburnbikers.co.uk)

Just remembered - there's another active club in your area, Industrialfellbikers.
    Global TH1.5 Ti hardtail.
  • Jht
    Jht Posts: 1,562
    Have a pop over to Oldham and ride buckstones if your into DH/FR , check out http://www.northwestriders.net
  • MeMateDave
    MeMateDave Posts: 17
    There is some good routes from Norden/Edenfield area up over towards the 3 reservoirs, Greenbooth etc. Head over near Owd Betts (pub) from Edenfield road and head up through rough trials over towards Bacup Road. Theres some tough XC terrain especially in winter. When you get neat Cowpe resorvior and Rooley Moor road there is a massive quarry which has some great speed downhills. You can then loop back via main road or back via trails again.
  • pmerryman
    pmerryman Posts: 236
    Popped up to the DH/FR at Buckstones today, and I have to say I was very impressed with what the bikers have done.

DH/FR is not my cup of tea, but I had a ride down the very wet track from the top and through the forests, chickened out on the jumps though.

Keep up the good work lads.