Taking Bike by Air

al_yrpal
al_yrpal Posts: 102
edited July 2007 in Tour & expedition
I am new to this forum. My touring experience consists of two tours so far, around the Inner and Outer Hebrides staying in Hostels and B&B's. But with all these low cost flights around my thoughts are turning to places like Northern Spain etc.

I just wondered if anyone has experience of taking their bike on Easyjet/Ryanair/Flybee or any other airline in Europe. Do you have to dismantle the bike, what do they charge you for a European flight etc. I usually take a bar bag and a pair of panniers. I suppose one could tie a pair of panniers together so that they only count as 1 bag?

What are people's experiences?

Al

Comments

• TorugartTim
    TorugartTim Posts: 105
    Some info here.
    Policies vary between airlines, but most short haul airlines will take a bike for free or for a flat fee of around £20-30.[/url]
  • al_yrpal
    al_yrpal Posts: 102
    Thanks Tim,

Awesome links - an inspiration!

Al
  • A mate and I recently flew our bikes back from Milan with Ryan air, cost an extra 15 euros extra and they ask that the bars be turned, pedals removed seat lowered and the whole thing to be placed in a bike box. Anyway we got there late and didn't have time for the bike box... Mine got through OK but they dented his frame which is now a write off.

MAKE SURE YOU PROTECT YOUR BIKE PROPERLY!!!!!

I know it was our own fault but on handing the bikes over to the baggage handelers in Milan I really got the imperession that they thought they had the oppotunity to destroy something expensive since it wasn't boxed up :evil: !!!

And some pikey in the airport nicked my sunglasses!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

P.S. BA take bikes at no extra expense.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    this rases the issue of insurance.
    make sure you are covered if 1 bike does not arrive. (hire bike and kit?) and 2 damaged (replacement).

there is a lad in france who has been with out a bike for 2 weeks and still has 3 weeks of holiday left. the insurance has covered bike hire and alledgedly his bike has been found is on its way to him.......
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown