adverts.

any way of stopping them moving over onto the posts? had to put up with it a fair amount on the old forum, now its doing it here too!
</center>www.mtb-bitz.co.uk - Bitz for you & your mountain bike. pinkbike

Comments

• Alex
    Alex Posts: 2,086
    I doubt MCole or John Stevenson will really want to say this with the advertising department watching, but Firefox is your friend ;)
  • rubber side up
    rubber side up Posts: 2,150
    i have firefox & adblock plus, but the damn things keep coming back :cry:
  • Alex
    Alex Posts: 2,086
    How strange. Check your definitions. Easylist seems quite comprehensive.
  • Meh, it's your browser. For us to fulminate about adblock would be like a TV company complaining about you making tea in the ad break. "You there! No tea! STAY ON THE SOFA."

You'd laugh at us. And rightly so.

However, the ads straying into the page is a known bug with pages that are forced wide by pics or URLs or what have you. The dev team are working on it.
    John Stevenson
  • Gavin Weeks
    Gavin Weeks Posts: 321
    I think I see someone thinking of getting off their sofa for a wee - we certainly can't have that!

Adblock does have issues with our ad software as the identification of the ads changes on each page load, so sometimes it will pick them up sometimes it won't, its not an attempt for us to stop you blocking them! its so we can properly monitor the amount of times a given advert is loaded onto a page.

Alternatively you can always try this:

The New AdBlock
    postit_ad.jpg
  • rubber side up
    rubber side up Posts: 2,150
    Nice to see the devs have a sense of humor :D
  • Red Panda
    Red Panda Posts: 269
    Hohoho :? :)
  • blacksun
    blacksun Posts: 381
    My wall (Agnitum Outpost Pro) has a built in ad blocker. I've not seem an ad for years.
    I am free of all prejudice. I hate everyone equally ~ W. C. Fields
  • Nice to see the devs have a sense of humor :D

I'll admit we had a bit of sense of humour loss while ago, but I think we're finding them again.

Gav's was down the sofa and mine has been buried in the garden by the dogs. Damn ridgebacks think they have dibs on *everything*.
    John Stevenson
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    This is the one that annoys me though.
    getridcopy.jpg
    Not specifically the FILM add, just the adds that are on the right hand side.
    I couldn't give a damn about the one on the top, but the one down the right hand side is just stupid, and ruins the layout for widescreen monitors.

Reading this forum on a 24" widescreen makes me want to cry, there's so much wasted space.

• I couldn't give a damn about the one on the top, but the one down the right hand side is just stupid, and ruins the layout for widescreen monitors.

Only if there's something in the post - a pic or URL - that forces it wide. Known bug, and being worked on
    Reading this forum on a 24" widescreen makes me want to cry, there's so much wasted space.

Such problems we should all have! :)
    John Stevenson
  • Yorkshireman
    Yorkshireman Posts: 999

I couldn't give a damn about the one on the top, but the one down the right hand side is just stupid, and ruins the layout for widescreen monitors.

Only if there's something in the post - a pic or URL - that forces it wide. Known bug, and being worked on

Such problems we should all have! :)

Must be like watching tennis sitting at the net ... left, right, left, right, left ... :wink: .
    Colin N.

Lincolnshire is mostly flat... but the wind is mostly in your face!

• Must be like watching tennis sitting at the net ... left, right, left, right, left ... :wink: .

I'm beginning to think I could us a keyboard macroing application to write each of the six different replies I keep repeating. :)

Better be careful though or Samoth, our uber-admin, will replace me with a very small shell script.
    John Stevenson
  • Yorkshireman

Must be like watching tennis sitting at the net ... left, right, left, right, left ... :wink: .

I'm beginning to think I could us a keyboard macroing application to write each of the six different replies I keep repeating. :)

Better be careful though or Samoth, our uber-admin, will replace me with a very small shell script.

Sounds like you need something like a multi-memory paste 'feature' :lol: .
    Colin N.

• Anonymous
    So am I to assume that your sarcastic, cliquey replies mean that NO, you are not intending to move the advert that's along the side to somewhere else?
    That would fix it now.
    Waiting for a 'fix' means that you intend to keep it there, but I imagine that you're going to limit the size of things that can be posted.

Maybe i should use my greater screen real estate to post really wiiiiiiiiiiiide posts?
    Because after all, It seems I'm such a retard for having one.
  • Yorkshireman
    So am I to assume that your sarcastic, cliquey replies mean that NO, you are not intending to move the advert that's along the side to somewhere else?
    That would fix it now.
    Waiting for a 'fix' means that you intend to keep it there, but I imagine that you're going to limit the size of things that can be posted.

Maybe i should use my greater screen real estate to post really wiiiiiiiiiiiide posts?
    Because after all, It seems I'm such a retard for having one.

Chill out mate :wink: . We're all waiting for a 'fix' it's been pointed out a number of times. Sure you could post extra wide posts and we'd all suffer. I wouldn't call you a retard just cos you have a widescreen, the size of screen is irelevant really (unless you have an old tiny screen).
    Colin N.

• Gavin Weeks
    In all fairness if you post an image that is big enough to break the width of the site then it shouldn't really be posted due to its sheer size. Would suggest if it is a big image post a link to it instead of posting it directly.

I have already fixed the forum so when this does happen the banner will move instead of appearing above the post, this just hasn't been made live yet.
  • Because after all, It seems I'm such a retard for having one.

Er, no, you're damn lucky and I'm jealous.

Mostly though I'm mystified that you're complaining about us when huge numbers of sites are width-limited. I think it was just an excuse to make us all feel severe pixel envy.

But, no, we're not going to move it. That would involve vastly more time and effort than the fix Gavin's mentioned and - even worse - we'd have to talk to the ad sales team.
    John Stevenson
  • Gavin Weeks
    There's a lot more to Bikeradar than a lot of people realise :)

P65.jpg
  • Anonymous
    even worse - we'd have to talk to the ad sales team.
    Well, fair enough. I feel your pain there.
    There's a lot more to Bikeradar than a lot of people realise
    What, kids doing martial arts? (from that photo I'd say Karate?)
  • Gavin Weeks
    Thats us doing a team building exercise! :)
  • Anonymous
    you're fricking joking, right?

Team building excercises are meant to go like this...

step 1, choose an activity that the minority of attendees will enjoy.
    step 2, let the ones who enjoy the activity get really over excited and annoying.
    step 3 observe as the small cliques that exist in the workplace anyway simply get stronger, and resentment between cliques grows.
    step 4, see as cliques now start jeering each other.
    step 5, nobody is enjoying themselves now.
    step 6, everybody off to the pub.
    step 7, everyone pretends like they don't even know each other.

THAT'S team building - DUH!

I've been on a 3-day "team building" multisport thing years ago. There were sevral different challenges, like orienteering, rock climbing, abseiling, MTBing, kayaking, and puzzles to solve, building bridges etc.
    Our team came second (or third?) regardless of the fact that we were CONSTANTLY arguing. It seems there was so much arguing going on that one person, unnoticed would just get on with completing the task at hand whilst everybody else stood around screaming at each other!
    Then there was a big punch up in the pub after it all finished!

That's what happens when you force maintenance staff, and admin staff together!
  • Gavin Weeks
    you're fricking joking, right?

Team building excercises are meant to go like this...

step 1, choose an activity that the minority of attendees will enjoy.
    step 2, let the ones who enjoy the activity get really over excited and annoying.
    step 3 observe as the small cliques that exist in the workplace anyway simply get stronger, and resentment between cliques grows.
    step 4, see as cliques now start jeering each other.
    step 5, nobody is enjoying themselves now.
    step 6, everybody off to the pub.
    step 7, everyone pretends like they don't even know each other.

THAT'S team building - DUH!

I've been on a 3-day "team building" multisport thing years ago. There were sevral different challenges, like orienteering, rock climbing, abseiling, MTBing, kayaking, and puzzles to solve, building bridges etc.
    Our team came second (or third?) regardless of the fact that we were CONSTANTLY arguing. It seems there was so much arguing going on that one person, unnoticed would just get on with completing the task at hand whilst everybody else stood around screaming at each other!
    Then there was a big punch up in the pub after it all finished!

That's what happens when you force maintenance staff, and admin staff together!

We like kar-rat-ay!
  • blacksun
    blacksun Posts: 381

You're all older that I expected ;)
    I am free of all prejudice. I hate everyone equally ~ W. C. Fields
  • Gavin Weeks
    blacksun wrote:

You're all older that I expected ;)

I actually look a lot older than I am
  • method
    method Posts: 784
    If you use Adblock filter set with Adblock you don't get any adverts on this site. I must admit I didn't realise it had any....