best commute route - surbiton to west end

georgee
georgee Posts: 537
edited July 2007 in Commuting chat
Morning all,

just moved so am settling into a longer commute circa 14 miles each way. The route I have started using is as follows...

Portsmouth Road
cut through the back streets then up kingston hill
into the park at kingston gate, anit clockwise to Rohampton gate
Lower Richmond Road
Putney Bridge
Kings Road all the way
Grosvenor Place
across Hyde Park Corner
into the park and along grosvener st into the the west end

Any where I can save time? is there a better road to get up through fulham/chelsea?
can I cut out the park and get up to tibbets corner on the A3 to come down into Putney (a touch more direct), better route in up to Oxford circu using mayfair?

Any advice welcome.

Comments

• alan_sherman
    alan_sherman Posts: 1,157
    Avoid Grosvenor Place by getting north into Hyde Park sooner - either go up Fulham road after Putney Bridge or turn left at one of the many options along the kings Road. Then you can join Hyde Park via Exhibition Road. Much more plesent.
  • Georgee, i've been commuting for about 16 years from SW London into the City/West End.

I've always done the Putney Bridge/King's Road route, some others prefer Embankment as it can be faster but it is definitely longer if you're going to Oxford Circus.

I suspect your route through the RP is the best and certainly the prettiest, but another possiblity is -from Kingston go over Coombe Hill, up Copse Hill and along Parkside to Putney Hill and down to Putney Bridge.

Might be worth a try one day...

And welcome to the Tour de la Rue du Roi!
    17 years commuting up and down the King\'s Road and i still don\'t get faster...
  • Yea, sorry forgot to say, at Sloane Sq maybe turn up Sloane Street then through Lansdowne Square and across Knightsbride, using the bike lights, and into Hyde Park.

Very direct and avoids Grosvenor Place/Hyde Park Corner.

And also up Putney Hill and down the A3 is very quick but that is a dual carriageway and the traffic goes very fast. There is a bike track by the side, not bad, but not great condition.

On your way in there is a smaller road that runs parallel from Coombe up to Robin Hood gate and then a bike track on the pavement followed by a bus lane, that might be a slighly quicker way in.
    17 years commuting up and down the King\'s Road and i still don\'t get faster...
  • chrisonabike
    chrisonabike Posts: 104
    Here's my current route from Kingston to London Bridge.

http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=1148725

Going up the A3 from Robin Hood Gate to Tibbets Corner, you can ride on the pavement (not great condition, but few obstructions/pedestrians) and go under the subway where I've shown. This saves having to cross either the A3 or the A306.

I've ridden all the way up the A3 before, but I find the wiggly route only takes an extra ~6-7 mins.
  • georgee
    georgee Posts: 537
    Good to see a response from another wheeler, knew I should have posted it on the club forum but knew i'd have just got a barrage of replies from currie.

Will try all over the next couple of week, I am minded to get into HP earlier so will use sloane st (I used to come that way being one of the High St ken Pelaton).

Thanks to both Chris and Chris