A303

Iain j
Iain j Posts: 147
I am wondering, if anyone knows if you can ride on the A303?
Is there any other way to cycle to Taunton from Glastonbury?

Comments

• stage_fright
    stage_fright Posts: 218
    I saw an evening time trial that appeared to be using the A303 the other day, based at Podimore services I think, but I have to say that I wouldn't fancy riding that road myself.
    Chocolate makes your clothes shrink
  • itchy1
    itchy1 Posts: 2
    You can ride on the 303 which in some parts resemblkes a motorway in all but name. Personally i wouldn't do it.

Quickest way to get to Glasto from taunton - right at walford cross (taunton -north perterton road) onto a361. Follow sign posts along A361/A39 to glastonbury. About 33 kms.
  • itchy1
    itchy1 Posts: 2
    Of course, reversing the above instructions will actually get you going the correct way.......
  • Rob Sallnow
    Rob Sallnow Posts: 6,279
    Iain j wrote:
    I am wondering, if anyone knows if you can ride on the A303?
    Is there any other way to cycle to Taunton from Glastonbury?

Yes you can ride on the A303 but I find it rather depressing and just a touch dangerous. When I first rode on it I put it down to each lane of the single carriageway being about 1.5 lanes wide which encouraged rather dangerous overtaking manouvers.

I ride from Tanton to Glastonbury quite often and would suggest you do the A361 route through Street, Greinton and past the rather good mini Tor at Burrow Mump (it's not a ruin, it was never finished). It's flat as a pancake until slight bumps just west of West Lyng.
    I'd rather walk than use Shimano