Race Blades

kleinerp
kleinerp Posts: 15
edited July 2007 in Commuting chat
Hi,

I commute daily (10 miles each way) on my Specialized Sirrus Elite and am thinking of getting some SKS Raceblades. Does anyone else use them on a Sirrus? Do I need the Raceblades XL or standard Raceblades?

Thanks
Andy.

Comments

• BentMikey
    BentMikey Posts: 4,895
    I think you can use proper SKS mudguards on an Elite. I fitted some on a 2004 model, can't remember which model of SKS they were though. I'd much rather use proper mudguards than raceblades, IMO.
  • AndyGates
    AndyGates Posts: 8,467
    For a commuter, where you're riding daily and don't want to get wet, full-length mudguards are the way to go. Raceblades (or their clones) are pretty good for a guardless bike that you happen to be taking out in the wet - but they do nothing to protect your transmission or your lower legs the way full mudguards do.
    Wanted: Penny farthing. Please PM me!
    Advice for kilted riders: top-tubes are cold.
  • BentMikey
    BentMikey Posts: 4,895
    I still have the ones I had on my Sirrus Elite, if you're not too far away you're welcome to buy them at half price.
  • peejay78
    peejay78 Posts: 3,378
    i use raceblades on my track bike, all year round. they clip on and off really easily. they keep your ass dry.

they're not quite full mudguards, but are a more than effective compromise. i because i'm riding fixed i don't have to worry about piffling things like "transmission".