Helmet light for increased visibility?

Yellow Cliff
Yellow Cliff Posts: 231
edited July 2007 in Commuting chat
I have been considering a helmet light for increased visibility (mainly in the dark, but perhaps for very overcast days too). There are some good offers on at the moment, so now seems to be a good time to buy if I am ever going to...

Do helmet lights increase visibility to any significant extent if you already have good lights?

Just a front, or is a rear good too?

I was thinking of a lightweight LED flasher and have been tempted by lights like the BLT LID-LED, but I am not sure this has enough power to make any difference... anyone tried these lights (or others)? Alternatively I would just lash a LED front and rear light to the helmet - much more powerful I guess.

Not that I am thinking about my winter commute already, you understand (currently off the bike with a knee injury, so winter riding actually appeals right now).

Comments

• BentMikey
    BentMikey Posts: 4,895
    The helmet debate aside, putting things on your helmet is likely to reduce its chances of working.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    BentMikey wrote:
    The helmet debate aside, putting things on your helmet is likely to reduce its chances of working.

the Helmet or the thing? :lol:

helmet lights can be very good as a supliment to good bar mounted lights when out on the trails BUT should not be used exclusively as i found it was too directed and i missed stuff.

now i have just noted that this is in the comute section.

IS a helmet light LEGAL on the road?
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • mrchrispy
    mrchrispy Posts: 310
    i have a couple of those tiny backup LED lights strapped to the back of my helmet, the slot inside the vents on the back. seems to work pretty well
  • madmole
    madmole Posts: 466
    RTA only covers lights on vehicles, so yes you can have any light on your person. But I suspect common sense says not to dazzle oncomming cars

Persoanaly I have a Use Joystick on my hat at night, superb, especially off road
    Marin Mount Vision 2005. Fox RL100/RP3. Hope Pro 2/Mavic XC717/DT rev. Cinders 2.1, XTR, Lots of bling

Cervelo S3 2011. Mavic Cosmic Carbonne SLE. RED. Q-rings, lots of bling and very light!
  • mudface
    mudface Posts: 1,733
    i have the same as mrchrispy - one of those tiny LEDs on the back of my helmet. nothing on the front though - i feel far more vulnerable from the traffic behind me than on-coming. you can't see what they're doing. i commute to and from central london every day, and i reckon it makes you more visible to larger vehicles - SUVs and lorries can't always see the light under your saddle etc.
  • AndyGates
    AndyGates Posts: 8,467
    madmole wrote:
    RTA only covers lights on vehicles, so yes you can have any light on your person. But I suspect common sense says not to dazzle oncomming cars

Yeah, but a moderate light pointed at 'em does serve to remind the dozy ones that you are there.

Good point about reducing the effectiveness of the lid, though. A small hard plastic thing has a different impact character to a flat road or car panel; it might punch straight through your Magic Hat of Protection +1.
    Wanted: Penny farthing. Please PM me!
    Advice for kilted riders: top-tubes are cold.
  • BentMikey
    BentMikey Posts: 4,895
    Of course I should add that OTOH the light may well serve far better in the protection stakes because it has a chance of preventing the accident in the first place.
  • jjojjas
    jjojjas Posts: 346
    I have one of these attached to the back of my helmet. I only wear it in the winter/in the dark/on trails anyway, so just when I need light.....
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=8749
    It's very effective .......& cheap....
    Jas
    it looks a bit steep to me.....
  • Yellow Cliff
    BentMikey wrote:
    Of course I should add that OTOH the light may well serve far better in the protection stakes because it has a chance of preventing the accident in the first place.

I think this is my main feeling - I have no illusions about just how ineffective my helmet would be if hit at any real speed. I really wear it in case of low speed collisions, since a bang on the bonce hurts!
  • Yellow Cliff
    mrchrispy wrote:
    i have a couple of those tiny backup LED lights strapped to the back of my helmet, the slot inside the vents on the back. seems to work pretty well

This is a great idea - I will investigate further! I think that chain reaction have some on offer at the moment.
  • I have a rural commute and would certainly recommend a front helmet light because;
    The light moves around as you pedal and the movement attracts human vision much more than your relatively static bike lights.
    It is mounted much higher and can be seen from a greater distance and over cars and hedges etc.
    It helps you see the kerb and gives a an improved sense of surroundings, spatial awareness.
    When you look at cars at junctions and particularly at roundabouts you automatically shine your light (song there somewhere!) at the driver when you make that vital eye contact.
    This all works for me on dark nights and bad weather. Also the cost can work out cheaper as I have found that I don't need one of those monster off road units on the bike, just a reasonable front and rear battery type with rechargables.

I would recommend thePetzl Tikka LED head torch, very light to wear and easy to fit to your helmet.

I agree with Bent Mikey though on what the light does to your helmets crash worthiness, your choice, your risk. I choose to avoid rather than hope to survive the impact!
    Cannondale R700, weekend sports fun
    Specialized Tricross, this commuters favourite
    Trek 7000, Old Skool Mud in the woods
    My Commute; http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=169808
  • jedster
    jedster Posts: 1,717
    This time of year I have very small flashers on the front and back of my helmet - more for twilight/dull conditions than for teh real dark. When the days get shorter I add a 1 Watt LED on top. This normally points down in front of me but I can point it directly at drivers. I like to use it when I'm approaching a car at a side turning - If I point it straight at the driver, I feel there's more chance that he will notice me. This is particularly useful in the dark when you can't get eye contact.

J
  • Hairy Jock
    Hairy Jock Posts: 558
    I used to wear a Petzl head torch when commuting in Aberdeen, can be useful to draw drivers attention at junctions as you turn your head to look. But it is no substitute for a good set lights on the handle bars.
    nicklouse wrote:
    IS a helmet light LEGAL on the road?

Yes, in the UK, don't know about Sweden.
    Best advice I ever got was "better get a bike then"
    Cycle commuting since 1994. Blog with cycle bits.
    Also with the old C+ crowd at Cycle Chat.