Introduce Yourself......

Dr_Death
Dr_Death Posts: 1,262
Seeing as how the foolish people in charge have let me moderate this bit of the forum I thought I should probably introduce myself..... some of you will already know me from the WMB forum but for those that don't:

My name's Steve and I'm a senior(ish) A&E doctor in the North-East. I've had training in quite a few different specialties on the way to settling on A&E so I have a fairly broad background including orthopaedic, general and plastic surgery; intensive care; and general medicine. I have developed an interest in pre-hospital care and sports and exercise medicine and have attended several courses about both. I like to think that I have a decent amount of common sense as well.

I have been biking since I was a kid but 'proper' mountain biking for the last 8-9 years, so I have either seen most of the injuries you can do to yourself at work, or have experienced them myself!! I also worked in a bike shop for three years whilst at medical school so can see things from both sides as it were.

As you can see my background is from fairly conventional medicine so I tend to talk from that point of view. This doesn't mean that I ignore complementory medicine but I have to admit to being a bit sceptical about a lot of it..... However I'm always willing to learn.

I see my job as mod not to delete anything I disagree with but just to remove anything that I consider downright dangerous. So, just because I don't think a certain supplement works I'm not gonna interfere with the thread unless someone suggests taking something poisonous.

Anyhoo, enough wittering from me. I know there are a few others that regularly give advice on here so they could introduce themselves below if they wanted, just so everyone knows who they are taking advice from....

And if you have any questions, just ask!
Steve

Trust me, I'm a doctor!

http://www.vimeo.com/DrDeath

Comments

• Hi Dr Death (I hope that isn't on your name badge at work!). People who have read the thread I started back on What MTB will already know far more about me than they want to, but for anybody else I am Dave. I live on the Isle of Sheppey in North Kent with my wife Alison and kids Taylor and Charlie.

I came to What MTB to seek advice on what bike would be suitable for somebody who weighs a LOT and things have gone from there. I have met some great people and heard some amazing stories. It has really helped me stick to 'Mission: Fit and Healthy'.

It's a real shame that lots of members seem to have gone AWOL since the move to this site. I can see why people wouldn't embrace the move but this site is ok isn't it? There are lots of threads for sure, but surely you can just avoid the ones you don't want to read. I see this as an oppoerunity to get involved with an aspect of cycling you wouldn't normally have, and also to meet plenty of guys and gals with other points of views and stories. Like all forums, this is as interactive or not as you choose. As for the technical problems they will get sorted over time. Perhaps it could have been tested more thoroughly before going live but what's done is done now.

I am gutted that my thread seems to have lost some of it's impetus since the move, but that just makes the challenge of rebuilding it all the more important.
    - Each new day is a gift, that\'s why it's called the present -
  • naz-t
    naz-t Posts: 313
    hi all im interested in continuing my knowledge regarding all things related to sports and medicines and training techniquesvetc. ill be watching this topic avidly
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v341/ ... 1177606388

If your not on the edge.. your taking up too much room!
  • Aux1
    Aux1 Posts: 865
    Lol really nice, reassuring name there Doctor! :twisted: :lol:

I have some new skin where my shoulder scraping healed, it's light pink around the edges but pretty reddish in the middle for a week or two now. Wonder if that'll go back to normal skin later... And yes the foot blister I asked about is ok now :)
  • jjojjas
    jjojjas Posts: 346
    Hello.
    I'm Jason.
    Been riding since I was a child. Never been without a bike. Mostly leisure riding then some XC then moved onto D/H for a couple of years (while I still could!). Gave up the D/H when child number 4 camer along (no time...) now I have a tourer (done a few 3 day rides) and an Orange sub5 that needs a new rear shock :lol: As soon as I fix it I'm back onto some local X/C rides.
    Live just south of Newcastle and work as a Resuscitation Officer which as I'm sure Dr Death is aware consists of teaching life support techniques, seeing to odd unwell (!) patient, and producing endless reports and audits that are filed in a cuboard somewhere.

Ironically I rarely visit the health & fitness forum as I'm usually reasonably ok :lol: but its worth keeping informed.
    Jas
    it looks a bit steep to me.....
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Hi Dr Death,

I'm Matthew and i'm recovering from a dislocated shoulder after falling off my bike while 'learning to dirt jump'. I'm seeing my physio again in another couple of weeks to see if i'm fit enough to ride off road again.

Thanks
  • naz-t
    naz-t Posts: 313
    matthew has your physio advised you to do any excercises for the shoulder at home?
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v341/ ... 1177606388

If your not on the edge.. your taking up too much room!
  • whyamihere
    whyamihere Posts: 7,700
    Hi, I'm Chris.

In the past few years, my riding has been severely hampered by the pain caused to my joints by my suffering with hypermobility syndrome. I have finally been referred to the physiotherapy service at my local surgery, so I shall see how it improves as time goes by.
  • DooG
    DooG Posts: 6
    Hi all, im Doog.
    First post here but been reading the forum for the past week.
    Got back from a seasons snowboarding in Canada, bought a full sus bike out there so only really got into biking a couple months ago.. so far im lovin it... although skills wise im still a rank amateur, willing to give anything a go though.

By day im a chartered Town Planner, Oooooo how exciting i hear u all shout! ha ha So if u need a house extension or a Tempory planning permisison for use of a field for a mountain bike track im ya man. ha ha ha