tyax elite shocks - can I lock em ?

pdrolo
pdrolo Posts: 127
edited July 2007 in MTB beginners
Couldn't beleive quite how much travel there was on these forks - I nearly went straight over the bars !

On the one side, I have a red knob - which adjusts the damping - no probs here.

I want to do a bit on road to get the feel of the bike - on the other side of shock is a black\yellow knob - it doesn't turn easily - what do I need to do to lock forks ? - if indeed I can ?
Roadie with an MTB

www.cyclestuff.org.uk

Comments

• frogbad
    frogbad Posts: 32
    Don't know the answer to your question - but what are your first impressions of the bike? It gets some good reviews, and I'm kinda tempted with one!
  • pdrolo
    to be honest - I have riden it for about 3 minutes !!!!! - should get out tommorrow - and will post a full report ....my first impressions though

pretty comfortable position - fairly upright

shocks - they really work ! - My kids have mtb's with shocks - and don't really do anything - in comparison to the mongoose

Handlebars feel like cowhorns - really wide !

Try before you but if poss (not easy with this bike I know) - if you can't - err on the side of a smaller bike - meduim is pretty big

I m a hyper critical person - and a couple of minors you might want to consider

Heavy - this doesn't feel that light (there again I am from a roadie background)

The paint finish on it - doesn't look that hardwearing - get the feeling it could scratch pretty easy - (but again this is just a hunch)
    Roadie with an MTB

www.cyclestuff.org.uk
  • frogbad
    frogbad Posts: 32
    From a quick bit of web research I do not think that the SR\Suntour XCR-DA fork can be locked out. It has hydraulic damping with rebound adjust only.

http://www.srsuntour-cycling.com/SID=si ... &tnid=1376

It's still supposed to be a great fork though
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    This fork has a rebound damping adjuster rather than a compression lockout - more useful in my book. The other knob is a preload adjuster. Its a very good fork on a bike of this price.
  • gary_fisher3
    gary_fisher3 Posts: 3,466
    Couldn't beleive quite how much travel there was on these forks - I nearly went straight over the bars !

II don't think locking the forks is going to help. This will just make the bike harder to control on rougher terrain. Perhaps changing the pre-load setting so they're a bit stiffer?
  • For the price do you think it is a good buy?

Is there room for upgrades?
    The Prince

'RIDE HARD, RIDE HARDTAIL'
  • supersonic
    For less than 300 quid I think its the best 'proper' MTB there is, largely due to the fork. Frame worthy of a few upgrades over time, as parts wear out, but apart from tyres nothing I would change from new.
  • pdrolo
    OK - been out on today.......spent a fair amount of time on my backside

follow this link to see how I got on - and my first impressions of the Mongoose Tyax Elite

http://www.cyclerollo.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/photos.htm
    Roadie with an MTB

www.cyclestuff.org.uk
  • supersonic
    Nice little review! You can chop the bars down, and parts do bed in: it will all need readjusting soon. Play witht he forks adjsuters ie rebound and preload (set the sag). This fork is very good for this money.
  • pdrolo
    If I chop the bars down - how do I get the grips back on & off ? - are bar ends a worth investment
    Roadie with an MTB

www.cyclestuff.org.uk
  • supersonic
    Remove the grips by squirting hairspray under them, and a flat screwdriver. They will slide off, and use hair spray again to put them back on. Bar ends is a personal thing - good for climbing.
  • Just got this bike myself.

How do I adjust the preload?

The knob only turns easily about 180 degrees, which doesn't seem to have any effect.
  • supersonic
    There should be two knobs on this fork, one is a damping adjuster, the other preload. What does it say on the fork, ie what model? Did you get any instructions with it?
  • This is the fork:

http://www.srsuntour-cycling.com/SID=si ... &tnid=1221

The right hand knob is rebound adjust, which turns about one and a half times round - It definitely makes a difference.

The left is black with an orange bit in the middle. It has a + and - on either side, with arrows indicating you can turn it. It won't turn any more than half way round, not even that.

The only instructions I got was the Mongoose bike manual - basically just says what parts are what, nothing specific to the bike. In the suspension section it just says "If your bike has suspension ask your dealer to provide you with instructions".
  • supersonic
    I think the last bit answers your query ;-)

It sounds like the adjuster is a bit a stiff. Take it back to the shop and get them to have a look at it (and pick up a manual!)
  • How far do they normally turn?

I can get a picture if you want? Just to be sure I'm not talking about the wrong thing.

Edit: Nevermind, crisis averted!

It had been twisted all the way left and then some! Just took a bit (ok, a LOT!) of effort to move it. Now every 180 degree turn it clicks into place and the orange bit in the middle drops down a bit - This time it does make a difference.

Now if it would only stop throwing it down I could go out and ride it!

Thanks for the help. :)